Position : Centered Auto Fit fails

Ovocean
2010-06-22
2013-04-24
  • Ovocean

Ovocean - 2010-06-22

Hi,
    I'm using the positioning type stated in the title to display my wallpapers. I don't know what it's supposed to do (the name "Auto Fit" is not self-exlpanatory) but I expected it to reduce images if they are bigger than the screen resolution and leave them as they are if they are smaller. Which it does, most of the time, but I've stumbbled on some images that are bigger in height and smaller in width than the screen but don't get reduced to fit the height of the screen.
    It should be reproducible if you can put your screen in 1680*1050, then take any image and rescale it to 1087*1537 and make Wally display it in Auto Fit mode, it will not be reduced. Then if you rescale it to 1086*1536, it gets reduced as expected.

Otherwise, fantastic app !

• Antonio Di Monaco

Hi,

well, you're right :) … but I'm not sure about what you reported. Let me explain better.

Don't call me crazy, but I cannot remember (and I cannot understand) why I'm actually using an "area-based" criteria. I mean, if the area of the picture is bigger than the area of the screen, a resize is performed, otherwise the image is displayed as is.

Well, I've to say that I had to be drunken at that time, cause it's a nonsense. I'll fix it, but I still cannot realize why a phenomenon like you described happens. In both cases (1087x1537 and 1086x1536) you have a picture area that's smaller than the screen area, so resize should never happen … uhm …

Well, I'll have to investigate it deeper. Anyway, the criteria about resizing will be changed for sure.

Thanks so much,
    Tony.

• Ovocean

Ovocean - 2010-06-22

I got it : the screen area does not include the task bars (or "dashboards" in English Ubuntu ?). Since my dashboards are 56px heigh altogether, my screen area becomes : 1680*1050 - 1680*58 = 1669920 px, which is just inbetween 1086*1536 and 1087*1537.
    Mystery solved ! ^^

Now just to be clear, here's again what I need instead of this behavior : If the image is higher or wider than the screen, scale it down to fit the screen, otherwise do nothing.

Thanks Tony !

• Antonio Di Monaco

Yeah, fixed right now.

Just in time, I'm going to release 2.4 in next week (or the next - next one).

Thanks for your help,

BR,
    Tony

• Ovocean

Ovocean - 2010-06-23

Glad to help.

Btw, since true wallpapers images are of the size of the whole screen, it would be nice to have the option to make the images display behind toolbars (don't know if it's possible with Ubuntu), to avoid having borders on the sides due to resizing to the available space.

Oh and another suggestion : Left-clicking on the tray icon could be a shortcut to Next Photo. (Left-clicking doesn't seem to do anything at the moment)

• Antonio Di Monaco

First point: just enable "Use full desktop area" in settings panel.

Second point: single click does nothing, but double click does what you need :)

• Ovocean

Ovocean - 2010-06-23

Ow, excellent ! ^^  Thanks

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks