What about porting the VS project targeting 64 bit platforms by default?

Help
XiaoboGu
2014-06-14
2014-06-25
  • XiaoboGu

XiaoboGu - 2014-06-14

Hi,

Since VS Express 2013 now supports 64-bit c++ and it's free, and 64-bit platform is more suited for machine learning applications, why not setting the VS project to build 64-bit targets by default?

Regards

• XiaoboGu

XiaoboGu - 2014-06-14

With VS2013 Express and the latest snapshot, the following project can be built after just add the add the x64 configuration and remove the Win32 configuration:

waffles_cluster
    waffles_dimred
    waffles_transform
    waffles_wizard

I think the first step is to find the x64 version of the libraries under the lib folder which other projects depend on.

• Mike Gashler

Mike Gashler - 2014-06-14

Linux support has been 64-bit by default for years. Unfortunately, Microsoft has designed VS Express 2013 to only install on Windows 8, and I don't really want to be a part of forcing people who only have Windows 7 to buy a new operating system. With Microsoft, nothing is really ever free. When VS 2013 is several years old, switching to 64-bit by default will definitely be the right move. Until then, I recommend a non-proprietary operating system.

• Mike Gashler

Mike Gashler - 2014-06-14

I wonder if there is a way to include support for both VC++ 2010 and VC++ 2013. Then, we could support the 64-bit builds without forcing people to upgrade. We should definitely distribute the 64-bit binaries, since no one really wants to use 32-bit applications anymore.

• XiaoboGu

XiaoboGu - 2014-06-15

Hi Mike,
    VS2013 Express for Windows Desktop can be installed on Windows 7 Home 64-bit, so people don't need to update to Windows 8, but people should buy a computer with 64-bit CPUs.
    Buy the way, Express version of Virtual Studio is always free from the first day until now.

• Mike Gashler

Mike Gashler - 2014-06-15

Great, that would solve this issue. I'll try it again.

• Mike Gashler

Mike Gashler - 2014-06-25

It worked, so I converted all the Windows project files to require VC++2013 or newer, and they target 64-bit platforms by default.

Anonymous

Cancel  Add attachments

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks