Menu

VVV Automation

Help
2024-03-18
2024-05-19
  • Archivist_Goals

Archivist_Goals - 2024-03-18

This is directed at Fulvio:

Hi there - I am trying to automate VVV so that I can use Windows' built in Task Scheduler to open a script periodically and have that update Cataloged volume files.

Basically, I am looking for a way to use VVV to update snapshots of already-cataloged volumes (Drives). So, for Drive C, run a VVV command and update that volume with any new changes made to the Drive (entire C:\ directory) since the last run of VVV.

I keep running into, "This catalog file does not exist" even though I am a positive the arg parameters are set correctly.

Using this arg:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\VVV (Virtual Volumes View)\vvv.exe" -u -v "C" -vp "C:\" "C:\Users\Nick-PC#2\Desktop\VVVCatalogDatabase.vvv"

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

• Fulvio Senore

Fulvio Senore - 2024-03-25

You can check that the file name is correct by entering the following line in a command prompt:

dir "C:\" "C:\Users\Nick-PC#2\Desktop\VVVCatalogDatabase.vvv"

and checking for errors.

Another possibility is that the executable, when ran from the task scheduler, does not have access to the catalog file.

May you try using the command line

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VVV (Virtual Volumes View)\vvv.exe" -u -v "C" -vp "C:\" "C:\Users\Nick-PC#2\Desktop\VVVCatalogDatabase.vvv"

to see if it works?

Fulvio

• Archivist_Goals

Archivist_Goals - 2024-03-25

Hey Fulvio, thank you. I ran the the first command you suggested and the file name is, indeed, correct. Without any errors.

Running the second command you suggested, I still receive the following error,
      "Catalog not found"

Not sure why this happens. In the catalog file. I have multiple drives listed, including Drive C. So, not sure why this error persists.

-Nick

Last edit: Archivist_Goals 2024-03-25
  • Fulvio Senore

Fulvio Senore - 2024-03-26

Maybe the problem is in the "#" character in the database path.
    I would try putting the database in a simpler path like "C:\VVVCatalogs" and giving it full access rights, just to see if it works.

Fulvio

• Archivist_Goals

Archivist_Goals - 2024-03-26

Thanks - I thought about that with the # character (poor choice during initial Windows setup)
    Giving it full access in C:\ requires having full ownership of C:\ and, from what I understand, might cause system instability. So, rather not do that.

I also have Drive D. Placing the catalog, DriveD.vvv in D:\ is still not recognized, same error.

Not sure what else to try.

Last edit: Archivist_Goals 2024-03-26
  • Fulvio Senore

Fulvio Senore - 2024-03-27

I am leaving for holidays and I will be back on April 8. Then I will make some tests.

• Archivist_Goals

Archivist_Goals - 2024-04-05

No worries. Please let me know what you find out. Thanks!

• Archivist_Goals

Archivist_Goals - 2024-05-03

Hey there - did you have a chance to look at this further? Thanks.

• Fulvio Senore

Fulvio Senore - 2024-05-03

I was just looking at your problem.
        I checked and everything worked well: I was able to update a volume from the command line.

I was able to get the same error message as yours when I forgot to close VVV: it was in execution as a GUI program. VVV locks the catalog file so if you try to open the same catalog with another instance of the program you get a "catalog not found error". That error is a generic I/O error: it is usually caused by a wrong filename but it can also be caused by a permission problem or by the file being locked.

Are you sure that VVV is not running? If it is not running it looks like a permission problem.
        Have you checked the following command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VVV (Virtual Volumes View)\vvv.exe" "C:\Users\Nick-PC#2\Desktop\VVVCatalogDatabase.vvv"

to see if it works? It should open that catalog in GUI mode.

• Archivist_Goals

Archivist_Goals - 2024-05-04

I recently did a clean install of Windows. And this time around chose a more suitable user name without special characters. Testing everything again, with the following catalog location and argument did work and opened the catalog GUI, yes:

C:\VVVCatalogs.vvv

And with this argument: "C:\Program Files (x86)\VVV (Virtual Volumes View)\vvv.exe" "C:\VVVCatalogs.vvv"

However, I can not get the argument for updating a volume to work, using this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VVV (Virtual Volumes View)\vvv.exe" -u -v:"C" -vp:"C:\" "C:\VVVCatalogs.vvv"

It still errors out with: "The catalog name is missing". Before running this last command, I did make sure that VVV was not running.

Any thoughts?

-Nick

Last edit: Archivist_Goals 2024-05-04
          • Fulvio Senore

Fulvio Senore - 2024-05-04

This is really strange.

Have you tried running the command prompt as an administrator?

https://www.howtogeek.com/194041/how-to-open-the-command-prompt-as-administrator-in-windows-10/

• Archivist_Goals

Archivist_Goals - 2024-05-04

Yes, I tried just now. New CMD instance running as administrator. Still the same error. See screenshot. Also including screenshot of the VVV catalog. As you see, I have C , then the other drives. Only C and Drive D are internal. The others were external drives. I'm running Windows 11 Pro.

Again, running this command works and opens up the GUI: "C:\Program Files (x86)\VVV (Virtual Volumes View)\vvv.exe" "C:\VVVCatalogs.vvv"

The other one, even with CMD in Admin mode, fails. Strange, indeed.

If you want, I can do a Zoom screenshare with you if all else fails.

Thanks,
              Nick

Last edit: Archivist_Goals 2024-05-04
  • Archivist_Goals

Archivist_Goals - 2024-05-08

fsenore: Any further thoughts or suggestions?

• Fulvio Senore

Fulvio Senore - 2024-05-09

Looking at your last screenshots I noticed that now the error message is different: it is about a missing catalog name and not a missing file.
    Looking at the source code, that error should happen if the program has not received a catalog name. That does not make sense so maybe there is a problem with parsing the command line.
    I might prepare a new version with better handling of the command line parsing, just to see if there are problems.
    Are you interested in testing it?

• Archivist_Goals

Archivist_Goals - 2024-05-09

Hmm, interesting.

Sure, I'd be happy to help test a new release.
      If you want, you can email me: archivist.goals@gmail.com

Thanks for taking an interest in this!

-Nick

• Fulvio Senore

Fulvio Senore - 2024-05-16

Hello Nick,

did you receive the email that I sent you on May 13?

• Archivist_Goals

Archivist_Goals - 2024-05-19

Thanks again for your patience, yes, I sent you an email tonight with a screen recording of some new behavior/errors.

-Nick