Catalog build crashes, error "bad ...

Help
Anonymous
2012-06-27
2018-02-22
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-06-27

Hi there,

I installed VVV in the newest Version on Windows 7 Pro X64 and tried to catalog internal disks as well as USB-disks. The filesystems are HFS+, EXT3 and NTFS. With all volumes I receive the same error: I can start building the catalog and I the first folders being done, but after a time between 30s and a minute, the process stops and the message (translated from german, so maybe a bit different in english) " An unexpected error occurred. Here a description of the error: "bad allocation" " pops up.

What could be the source, is it long filenames? I certainly would like to avoid renaming all the filestructure as it is quite complex.

Thank you very much in advance

Lukas

• Fulvio Senore

Fulvio Senore - 2012-07-03

Nobody ever reported such an error, so it is not likely to be related to long filenames.
    Anyway, you could try some folders that do not contain very long names to see what happens.
    The error message is also rather cryptic, I don't know if it comes from VVV or from Windows.
    Can you try to catalog some of the same volumes with another computer, just to see if it works?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-07-10

Hi there,

I tried it on a Macmini with Mac OS X Lion now. The disk is connected via USB and is formatted with HFS+. I tried it with a local catalog and a Firebird database on a remote machine. I receive the following error with both:

Could somehow the fileformat be the culprit? All disks I try to index are formatted with HFS+ and contain the usual hidden Mac-folders.

Thank you for your help!

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-07-10

PS: As the picture won't load here the direct link: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/841/vvverror.png/

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-08-01

Hi fsenore,

could you give me some hints where the problem could be located? I'm still trying to fix the error.

Thank you in advance!

• Fulvio Senore

Fulvio Senore - 2012-08-03

I looked at the image and it looks like the first error is a "file not found" one, but I can't read German.
    May you set the VVV language to English, just to see if it is possible to get an English error message (menu Tools/Options, Change Language button)?
    It would also be useful to know the full error message: in the screenshot I read "file not found" but I cannot read the file name.

You can also try to disable cataloging of audio metadata, just to see if it works (menu Tools/Options, Audio Files tab).

• incina

incina - 2018-02-22

For whom may encounter again this error (Unexpected error .... bad allocation"), in my case (Windows 10 Pro 64 bit), I solved running the application with admin rights. Hope can help you too!

Last edit: incina 2018-02-22
  • Fulvio Senore

Fulvio Senore - 2018-02-22

This is strange. Running with admin rights will help if files are not readable by normal users, so it can fix "file not found" errors and similar.

This thread is very old, in the meantime I discovered that the bad alloc error may happen when VVV goes out of memory, so running with admin rights should not matter.