Network without interface

Help
svoop
2020-12-27
2021-01-09
  • svoop

svoop - 2020-12-27

Hi

I'm playing around with Docker in iptables=false mode. This means, I have to set up a few rules mainly to give some Docker containers access to the shared database on the host.

Docker creates randomly named bridge interfaces such as "br-xxxxxxxxxxxx" when spinning up an image. It may be possible to force a certain naming, but it would be more flexible if I could define networks in Vuurmuur which are not bound to a specific interface. Is this possible?

Cheers!

• Victor Julien

Victor Julien - 2020-12-31

Hi Sven, it's not possible. Maybe you can use vuurmuur_script to update the interface settings on the fly, but I'm not sure how that would work with docker.

• svoop

svoop - 2020-12-31

Hi Victor

Thanks for your reply... no surprise, I was expecting this answer. :-) However, I figured out how to have a predictable bridge name set in docker-compose.yml, this way, the rules can remain static. In case someone ends up on the same spot, here's what has to be added in order to define the bridge name and subnet for the default network in docker-compose.yml:

networks:
      default:
        driver: bridge
        ipam:
          driver: default
          config:
            - subnet: 172.16.123.0/24
        driver_opts:
          com.docker.network.bridge.name: br-whatever

With this in place, it's easy to add a network for 172.16.123.0/255.255.255.0 on interface br-whatever in Vuurmuur. The bridge connects 172.16.123.1 on the host with 172.16.123.2 in the container.

• Victor Julien

Victor Julien - 2021-01-09

Ah that is a nice solution. Thanks for sharing it here!