I didn’t enter / for the base path when I originally ran the install script. Once I got the new DocumentRoot set up then I went back and changed the base path to / and restarted Apache. The CSS/JS files still wouldn’t load. It was removing /vufind2 from the AliasMatch lines that ultimately did the trick (in combination with RewriteBase / and removing the Alias line).
Personally I would be disinclined from suggesting that the installer should try to set this scenario up. When you’re first installing, all you really want (I think) is to get something out of the box that functions. Thus the simplest, most direct way to that is best. Then when you want to do funky things later, it’s supremely nice if there’s documentation to help you get there with the least effort. (But it wouldn’t hurt to include the link to the VuFind DocRoot documentation in the install.php report success text for those that just want it to get it over and done with.)
Library Network Programmer/Analyst
Yavapai Library Network
1120 Commerce Dr.
Prescott, AZ 86305
Phone: (928) 442-5741