Segmented Data [More Follows]

Help
Paul
2012-01-03
2013-05-28
  • Paul

Paul - 2012-01-03

Using VTS 3.5.5 latest build, I am sending read request command to a BACNET device which I force the response to be segmented by requesting a large 'object-list' with the BACNET device MaxApduLengthAccepted to a small value, ie 128 bytes.

The VTS sends the read request and gets a response from the device to indicate the data is segmented and more will follow.
    At this point I expect the VTS Client to then send a Segment ACK back to my device which will then respond with the segmented data, but this is not the case.  A colleague has the same VTS Client version 3.5.5 which works perfectly to the same BACNET device, yet I cannot see what in the VTS setup is different.  I have tweaked settings related to the segentation in the device configuration in VTS but to no avail.  The only visible difference in my colleagues set up are that he has objects created under the device configuration in the VTS set up whereas I just have the default device object, and I don't believe I need to created objects under this as the VTS s/w is only acting as a Client.

Any help would be greatlyl appreciated.

Paul

• ltribble

ltribble - 2012-01-03

Check your port definition and make sure you have the VTS device specified.  VTS wil not act as a server (i.e. respond to anything) unless it is turned on.  To turn the server portion on, you need to make sure the VTS device is specified on the port dialog box.  You do not need any objects under your device for this to work.
    Hope this helps,
    Lori

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-01-03

Thanks for your reply Lori,
    I do have the VTS device set in the ports config.  First I added 'Test Device' in the Device Configuration using its default instance of 0 (although I have tried changing this to no effect), then in the Ports Config I leave the network box blank and change the device to 'Test Device' from the dropdown box.  I also set up some parameters in the Names Config.

I have even tried copying all the settings from my colleagues PC but still no good.
    He can do a Read Request from his VTS and after the initial response his VTS sends a SEGMENTACK packet which allows the end device to respond with the segmented packets.
    From my PC, the VTS does not send the SEGMENTACK packet after the initial response.  It's really weird, because the versions are the same and also another colleague who also has VTS has the same problem as me.

Note, I did set up a Device object under the main Device with properties such as segmentssupported with value of 0 to allow segmentation, to reflect what my colleague has on the working VTS.  However if you say that is not needed I will turn that off when I am back in work tomorrow.

Any more tips?

Thanks,
    Paul

• ltribble

ltribble - 2012-01-03

I just setup my VTS to do this.  I had to set the network number on the port dialog to '0' to get it to work.  Note anytime you change the port configuration, you should close your send dialog and re-open to ensure you get the new settings of the port.  I do not have any objects or properties under my VTS device object but I have turned on the 'supports-both' on the device dialog.
    Lori

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-01-03

Thanks again,
    I did try setting a network number which made no difference, BUT I didn't close the send dialog so changes may not have taken.
    Something to look forward to in work tomorrow, cheers!!!
    Paul

• Paul

Paul - 2012-01-04

Lori,
    Now it works, thank you very much for your help!

Paul