Limited keys

Help
BobSongs
2008-02-02
2013-05-21
  • BobSongs

BobSongs - 2008-02-02

Greetings!

I'm curious why the key of "E" is not available in the list given. There's E Flat and F... but no key of E. ;^) Any help on this one would be appreciated. Now, if you're just beta testing, then I'll be glad to help in any way. I just downloaded the most recent copy. The previous one was not as stable. This one's pretty nice.

Bob

• Matthias Neeracher

Sorry for not answering sooner... I thought I would get notified of posts automatically and did not realize I had to request this explicitly.

To answer your question, omitting 'E' is a somewhat idiosyncratic choice: I try to focus VocalEasel towards the needs of amateur Jazz musicians, and my teachers and the more experienced musicians that I work with have told me over and over again that bands generally hate sharps in the key signature. 'A' with 3 sharps is already pushing it, and 'E' with 4 sharps is definitely a problem (As Al Stevens put it "If you have to play or sing in the keys of D, E and A, find a country western bar that allows sit-ins" <http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=6136&mode=threaded>).

That said, just because a key is not recommended doesn't mean that VocalEasel should entirely prohibit it (In fact, there are quite a few Jazz tunes with 6 flats, so the current menu is too restrictive anyway). I'll think of some way to add the other keys without cluttering up the menu too much.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks