DSM plugin

blazted
2007-09-18
2013-04-15
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • blazted

blazted - 2007-09-18

Does the VNCed MSI creator support the DSM plug in? I have selected the DSM plug in when i created the MSI file but if I try to connect to it with the encryption plug in I get the first screen where it asks me the password then it just hangs with it stating negotating protocol.

• MikeHarding

MikeHarding - 2007-09-19

This is another feature I will be looking to add to the MSI creator. I will start work on this and the MS Logon Group stuff shortly; just sorting out some bits for VNCed first.

• MikeHarding

MikeHarding - 2007-09-19

Looking through this site, I think adding in DSM support shouldn't be to hard, I will add in support for the following plugins from http://msrc4plugin.home.comcast.net/index.html . I will add an option in that will launch the VNCviewer which I will need to do as this is used to generate the key for the selected plugin.

• MikeHarding

MikeHarding - 2007-09-21

Just testing out the DSM support at the moment hopefully should have a release done for tomorrow, if all goes to plan there will a choice of 3 DSM plugins although MSRC4 is the main one

• MikeHarding

MikeHarding - 2007-09-22

1.0.7 has now been released which has support for DSM Plugins. MSRC4 (v1.1.8) and ARC4 seem to work the best for me.

• blazted

blazted - 2007-10-01

Thanks for the update. However I keep on getting the same message - negotiation protocol version and then nothing. I see a rc4.key file generated in the program files but I cannot connect to it. I cna connect to another computer where I manually installed the rc4.key file but not one with MSI created file.

• MikeHarding

MikeHarding - 2007-10-01

Did the DSM plugin install ok? its just the rc4.key that isn't working correct?

Are you using version 1.1.8 of the DSM plugin with your VNC Viewer when attempting to connect to the server?

• blazted

blazted - 2007-10-01

That could be it. I am using ver 1.22 which is the newest one available to download. let me try with the older plug in.

• blazted

blazted - 2007-10-03

I think I found a problem. with the DSM plug in with version 1.18 plug in. I am not sure what version of Ultra VNC you are using - the SC version or the full version. I am pretty sure that the problem is with your rc4.key and possibly the version you are using. After checking on the Ultra VNC forums you do not have to use the rc4.key with the full version - only the SC version and older models of the plug in.

Steps I took.

When i could not get yours to work at all. I uninstall it completely and reloaded Ultra VNC onto my computer. I am using the full version not the Single Click version. I am also registering my VNC as a service. I also reinstalled the full version on my computer as well.

I installed the full version and then downloaded the 1.18 plug ins. The current version comes with the 1.20 plug ins so I had to get the 1.18 from the archives. No matter what i did I could not get it to work - always the same error. It would simply give protocol error . Since it was the 1.18 version I has to use a rc4.key. I installed the latest plugin with is 1.22 deleted the rc4.key and i can connect. No matter what plug in i used I could never get it to connect if i used the rc4.key. The other thing I noticed was that I am using the MSRC4Plugin and your MSI creator is using the no plug in version which is meant for the SC Ultra VNC version.

I then uninstalled my full version and installed the SC version. With this I had to use the key but was able to connect using the 1.20 plug using the 1.20 key.

It seams like the rc4.key is more problematic for users who are using newer plug ins and for users who are using the Full client.

I managed to get your MSI version to work by doing the following steps.
      Created MSI.
      Installed MSI.
      Stopped Service.
      Deleted rc4.key and the MSRCDSM_NoReg plugin.
      Installed the 1.22 MSRCDSM_NoReg plugin
      Restarted the service

Worked fine.

A suggestion would be to use the newest plug in and not generate the key or have an option to generate the key. With 1.22 you do not have to use the rc4.key. From all the posts I have read this seams to cause people the most trouble. If you can add the Reg plugin as well that would be fantastic.

Thanks

• MikeHarding

MikeHarding - 2007-10-03

blazted, thank you very much for taking the time to do some fault finding for me :) its much appreciated. I have just tried what you said and it works perfectly, I just dumped over 1.2.2 of the plugin (the noreg version) deleted the rc4.key and hey presto works fine :)

I will update the release to use 1.2.2 plugin and remove the rc4.key as it is no longer needed.

• MikeHarding

MikeHarding - 2007-10-03

well the 1.2.2 did work, now it has decided to stop again lol .. will keep trying though

• MikeHarding

MikeHarding - 2007-10-03

right after more some testing I have definitely got it working using just the 1.2.2 plugin with no rc4.key.

• MikeHarding

MikeHarding - 2007-10-03

VNCed UltraVNC MSI Creator 1.0.8 has now been released

• blazted

blazted - 2007-10-03

You rock, Thanks for such a quick response. I was trying to find the source code to give you a hand and look at it but you are amazing in response time.

• Joey

Joey - 2007-12-14

Hate to revisit this post, but I've read and followed these instructions and I'm still having trouble.  Let me see if I understand...

I'm using v1.0.9 of the creator.  Here are my original settings:

aclImportFile        my file... (2 AD groups, VNC Admins and VNC Users)
      allow edit clients    no
      allowLoopback        no
      allowProperties        yes
      allowShutdown        yes
      allowPortSelect        no
      blackAlphaBlending    no
      blankMonitorEnabled    yes
      captureAlphaBlending    no
      connectPriority        1  (don't disconnect others)
      debugLevel        0
      debugMode        0
      defaultScale        1
      disableTrayIcon        no
      dsmplugin        2  (MSRC4)
      fileTransferEnabled    no
      ftpUserImpersenation    no
      httpConnect        no
      idleTimeout        0
      inputsEnabled        yes
      localInputsDisabled    no
      lockSetings        0
      loopbackOnly        no
      msLoginRequired        yes
      newMSLogon        yes
      password        my nonblank password....
      queryAccept        no
      querySetting        2
      queryTimeout        10
      removeWallpaper        no
      socketConnect        yes
      useDSMPlugin        yes
      xdmcpConnect        no

Okay, I'm running the full version of UVNC viewer from my workstation.  I'm running the service on another workstation (using the MSI generated by the above settings).  After having trouble, and then reading this post, I did the following:

Noticed the MSRC4Plugin_NoReg file version for the viewer was only 1.20.
      Deleted it and copied the version that came with v1.0.9 into the UVNC directory (v1.22).
      Restarted the viewer and selected the plugin.

Still, nothing.  I always hang at "negotiating" and I can't seem to fix it.  I even went back and recompiled the MSI without any MS Logon stuff to make sure the DSM was the issue, and I'm still having the problem...

Help!

Joey

• MikeHarding

MikeHarding - 2007-12-14

can you give the ARC4 plugin a go and let me know how you get on. blazted posted in the other thread about the Encryption and MS Logon groups not working together, so this could be a related issue.

• MikeHarding

MikeHarding - 2007-12-14

There does appear to be some problems with the MSRC4 DSM plugin, if I switch over to the ARC4 plugin everything works fine. Can you let me know which Operating System you are running the viewer from, I am using Vista and the MSRC4 doesn't seem to want to work consistently.

• Joey

Joey - 2007-12-14

I am using XP Pro SP2 on my workstaion (for the viewer).  The service is running on Win2k with SP4...

You'll have to forgive me as I don't understand UVNC as well as I probably should to be helpful to you, but here is what I did...

I recompiled the MSI to use the ARC4 DSM.
      I reinstalled it and started the service.
      I copied the ARC4Plugin.dsm file into the UVNC directory and started the viewer.
      ....nothing (negotiating hang)
      I then copied the arc4.key file to my UVNC directory.
      ....nothing (this time it didn't even connect)

I'm probably doing something wrong aren't I...

Joey

• MikeHarding

MikeHarding - 2007-12-14

Try this ... uninstall UltraVNC from the server. Install a fresh copy of the UltraVNC Viewer. Then do the following....

*CLIENT*Create a new UltraVNC MSI (make sure useDSMPlugin and DSMPlugin is set to ARC4 Plugin)

*SERVER*Install the MSI on the server. The service starts automatically, no need to do it manually

*CLIENT*Copy all the files from DSM_plugins folder of the MSI Creator distribution to the same folder as your vncviewer.exe

*CLIENT*Fire up the vncviewer.exe, make sure 'Use DSMPlugin' is checked and that ARC4Plugin.dsm' is selected.

*CLIENT*Try connecting

...it does work honest :) let me know how you get on. I have managed to get the MSRC4 to work now, will do a bit more testing with it, but the ARC4 definitely works.

• MikeHarding

MikeHarding - 2007-12-14

Joey, can you use v1.1.0 of the MSI Creator. It fixes a couple of bugs

• Joey

Joey - 2007-12-20

Hi Mike,

Well, I tried what you suggested, except I did it with the MSRC DSM (not paying attention).  The bad news is, it still doesn't work.  The good news, I get a new error!  Now its just telling me I fail to authenticate.  That doesn't really make sense to me.  I imported the ACL file I created, and I've given my user account full control permissions via AD.  Why would I not authenticate?

Also, what kind of authentication should I expect?  I thought that VNC would use the logged in user's credentials, so if I'm logged in to the client machine, and I have VNC admin rights, the client shouldn't even prompt me for a password, right?  It does though, and I have to enter both my username and password, which fail.  I also tried the password I put into the password field in the creator, and that doesn't work either...

Am I doing something wrong?

Joey

P.S. - I have been unchecking the option to disable the systray icon, but it never shows up anyway.  Anybody else reported that as a problem?

• MikeHarding

MikeHarding - 2007-12-20

Joey,

You still have to enter the username/password, as far as I am aware this has always been the case with UltraVNC.

The system tray wont appear when UltraVNC is run as a service unless you run the following command seperately. winvnc.exe -servicehelper. This isn't a problem, its just the way UltraVNC works.

Something that is worth trying again is just using normal password authentication. If that works try again but enable one of the DSM plugins, try the MSRC4 plugin.

Just to clarify you need to make sure of the following...

vncviewer.exe directory
      ...make sure it has MSRC4Plugin_NoReg.dsm and rc4.key in it

UltraVNC MSI Creator
      ...make sure useDSMPlugin is checked
      ...make sure dsmPlugin is set to MSRC4 Plugin

Let me know how you get on

• MikeHarding

MikeHarding - 2007-12-20

joey,

If you still have no joy. Try installing the UltraVNC server manually and then following this guide. If it works with that, then the issue is likely to be with the generated MSI.

UltraVNC setup
      http://www.uvnc.com/download/ ;v1.0.2

DSM Plugin Guide
      http://msrc4plugin.home.comcast.net/~msrc4plugin/dsmplugins.html

• MikeHarding

MikeHarding - 2007-12-20

Joey,

...something else to try. Just had a look through http://www.uvnc.com/features/authentication.html on your PC where you have the server do the following, looks like it could be the cause!!

On Windows NT 4, you need at least SP4 and the security configuration manager installed.

Under Windows XP, the ForceGuest registry value is set to 1 by default in the following registry key:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
      If the Guest account is enabled, an SSPI logon will succeed as Guest for any user credentials.
      If ForceGuest is disabled (set to 0), SSPI will log on as the specified user.
      So it's important to disable ForceGuest. Otherwise all authorization is done against the guest account!
      Policy Settings: Authentication will fail if "Deny logon to the computer from the network" is enabled for a group the logon account is a member of. This applies to both Local Policy Settings as well as Group Policy Objects.
      So make sure user accounts used for MSLogon authentication are not affected by these settings.

• Joey

Joey - 2008-02-07

Hi Mike,

Its been a while since I could visit this issue again, but its still an issue.  I have found something, and I want you to verify that I'm not crazy...

I've checked the logs (mslogon.log) at the server machine, and here's what I get:

07/02/2008 16:21:25  Invalid attempt (not authorized) from client 172.16.9.57 using rprewett account
      07/02/2008 16:21:42  Invalid attempt (not authorized) from client 172.16.9.57 using rprewett@DOMAIN.com account
      07/02/2008 16:22:16  Invalid attempt (not authorized) from client 172.16.9.57 using DOMAIN\rprewett account

So, it looks like I'm getting connected (using the DSM) but my logon is being rejected no matter what I try.  So, I went back to look at my ACL_export.txt file, and it looks like it contains errors:

allow    0x00000003    [S-1-5-21-1605114775-1186335492-1575050150-5762] *** error 1332
      allow    0x00000001    [S-1-5-21-1605114775-1186335492-1575050150-5763] *** error 1332

I have two groups in AD that are allowed to access computers using VNC: VNC Users, and VNC Administrators.  Can you tell me if these are real errors or if they don't really matter?

Thanks, Joey

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)