crash in OSX

Help
Wouter
2009-05-11
2013-02-09
  • Wouter

Wouter - 2009-05-11

Hi there,

First of all: this is a very nice piece of software! It comes in really handy to play some basic chords when I don't have a hardware keyboard available.

Now here's what happened to me when I first started it: it crashed saying
    'No MIDI output ports available. Aborting'; then it crashes with a segfault (in <code>VPiano::initMidi()</code>).
    Now if I use the MIDI patchbay program which is mentioned on your website, and create a virtual input in it, the virtual keyboard program works fine.
    Then, to complete the story, I setup a control surface in Reason using the vmpk output (not the patchbay port), quit the patchbay, and everything keeps working fine.

So apparently the virtual keyboard does not really need a port to be present, the init function just isn't prepared for this particular situation, am I right?
    Should I file a bug about this? I'd gladly perform some tests on OSX if needed, and could even try to patch it myself if necessary.

Regards,
    Wouter

• Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas

Hi Wouter,

Yes, you are right. There is no need to check for a MIDI port to be present before initMidi() because VMPK is creating a virtual port anyway, and a second program can be started after it, connecting to the vmpk output port. What makes the check even worse is that it crashes the program!

Please, open a bug report. I will fix this issue and release a new package ASAP.

Thanks,
      Pedro

• Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas

Note for future readers: the virtual ports are created only in OSX and Linux. For windows, the check is  needed and the program will still abort if there is not an available output port at startup.

Regards,
      Pedro