Menu

A keyboard map for French Mac users

2009-10-25
2013-02-09
  • Édouard Gilbert

Hey there,

As I’m both a Mac and azerty keyboard user, and it happens that the Mac azerty keyboard is different from the usual PC French keyboard (actually, I think its closer to the PC Belgian keyboard). So I created my own map for VMPK.

So I’d like to know if there was any way to share it from here. Actually, I intended to include it with this message, but it doesn’t look possible.

• Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas

Hi!

You can attach files to Tracker items. In this case, it would be appropriate to create a Feature Request or a Patch.

By the way: have you tried the new "raw keyboard" mode? you can also define maps for this mode, and they don't depend on the country/language.

Regards,
    Pedro

• Édouard Gilbert

No, I didn’t see this new feature. Actually, I just updated to the latest version of VMPK today (I’m not much of a regular user). I lost my mapping in the process and had to look for it in my backups. That’s when I thought it might be of interest for others.

Of course this “raw keyboard” mode is the logical approach to the problem. How comes its not mentioned in the « keyboard map » window ? Anyway, it seems to work like a charm, right out of the box. You should make it on by default.

Well, I’m gonna keep my map, for it covers some note twice (on different rows) so that one does not have to keep shift rows when playing. But this certainly is a matter of personal preference and it wouldn’t make sense to distribute it.

Actually, that might the reason why I didn’t suggest it to you last time.

Thanks for the tip,
    And for the hard work,
    Édouard

• Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas

Actually, when you have selected the "raw computer keyboard" mode in preferences, the "keyboard map" window says "raw key map" in the caption, instead of "key map editor", and the title over the data column is "key code" instead of "key". Subtle differences! :)

I also prefer to use this new mode, because it enables the "dead keys" (accents). But of course, the preferred mapping is a matter of taste, so I am open to include other map files, or you can use the new tracker area "Shared keymaps and instruments" to post your mappings, that the users can see and download.

: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=236429&atid=1210216