Menu

Usability Wishlist from a VisualCodeGrepper 1.6 Evaluator

2013-10-24
2013-10-27
  • Jonathan Lampe

Jonathan Lampe - 2013-10-24

Thanks for putting together this excellent utility. Here’s a quick list of things I think VisualCodeGrepper could use to make it easier to use.

1. When selecting a target, allow us to select one or more subfolders. (Ideally, I’d point this thing to my root “code” folder and let ‘er rip.)
    2. When specifying a target, allow us to copy in an existing path rather than laboriously click through the directory tree
    3. When launching the application for the first time, pop a reminder or a wizard to set the Settings/Language value first.
    4. When you launch a “Full Scan”, the “Code Breakdown” window pops, and my first reaction was to double-click the first cell I saw with non-zero “Potentially Unsafe Code” values. However, when I clicked on that, another file-specific statistics window popped. From there, I found the “Export | Copy Code Issues to Clipboard”, and then I opened Notepad and pasted the results in. It took me a few minutes to figure out that the report and controls I was really looking for were back on the “Results” tab. Perhaps instead of popping the statistics windows…could you just make “Statistics” another tab in the main interface and set focus to “Results” when the scan completes?

• N1ckDunn

N1ckDunn - 2013-10-27

Hi Jonathan

Many thanks for the feedback.

It's already possible to add your own path as requested in point (2) but you need to press 'Enter' after typing/pasting.
      I'll take a look at including the other ideas and including a few pop-up tips to make things clearer. I might even stretch to writing proper instructions ;-)