Cool Desktop Switcher module?

Anonymous
2010-06-28
2013-05-21
  • Anonymous - 2010-06-28

http://www.ilovelanguages.com/cfs/

I recently came across this old article in which the writer mentions a module for VirtuaWin called "Cool Desktop Switcher," which apparently displayed an icon for each desktop in the system tray rather than just one, unified VirtuaWin icon. And I would assume that such a module would allow you to jump to specific desktops with a single-click of the desired icon.

I can't find much info on this module anywhere online. So where did it go? Was it ever posted on VirtuaWin's modules page?

• Johan Piculell

Johan Piculell - 2010-06-28

Hi, this module was removed long time ago due to incompatibility with later VirtuaWin versions. Try KvasdoPager for example instead, think you might find it as a good alternative.

/Johan

• Anonymous - 2010-06-28

Okay, I figured it had something to do with compatibility. Although I did notice that it's still on your servers, and I was able to download both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. I tested it out just to satisfy my curiosity, but I deleted them quickly thereafter.

I am currently using KvasdoPager, and I'm early awaiting bjasspa's update that makes it look and function properly in Windows 7 x64. I think he's just about done working on it, right?

I've been tracking progress on the pager update here:
    http://code.google.com/p/vwkvasdopager/issues/detail?id=13#c39

• Anonymous - 2012-10-21

It's been a while since I haven't used VirtuaWin. At this time I installed Cool Desktop Switcher v1.3.1, it was really useful.

I have recently re-installed VirtuaWin (4.4) and searched for an updated version of this module but I was surprised not to be able to find it anymore. Fortunately, I kept a backup of the Cool Desktop Switcher v1.3.1 ZIP file.

So I have just tested it, it seems to work fine (but of course, it doesn't manage the 20 desktops VirtuaWin 4.4 can display.
    Btw, despite this "20 desktops" issue.. what kind of incompatibility did it have ?

I am a bit sad its developer hasn't updated for 4.4. :-(

• Steven Phillips

Steven Phillips - 2012-10-23

It doesn't use the newer module interface method of getting the VW config folder so likely to have file permission issues and may not work on machines with roaming profiles etc. Also it doesn't support VWs own desktop names for the tooltips. It may also have problems locating the taskbar on windows 7 if run at login because of the way widows 7 delays the creation of the taskbar.

But if it works for you…