New window popping up during switching desktop has ghost borders not disappearing

metatech
2013-10-16
2016-10-11
  • metatech

metatech - 2013-10-16

Hello,

I have been using VirtuaWin for more than a year, and I cannot work productively without it anymore. I particularly appreciate the "compact window list" and the keyboard shortcuts and the rules to make an application "sticky" on a desktop.

I am a small problem though : when I use an application, which pops up a window/dialog, and at the same time I switch to another desktop, the window borders of the pop-up window stay visible, even after the window was closed. To make the ghost borders disappear, I need to restart Virtuawin and the application which initiated the pop-up.
    I typically have this problem several times a day with Task Coach.
    I can reproduce it with Opera 12.15 : start Opera, click on the "Opera" top-left button to make the main menu appear, and at the same time switch to another desktop, using a keyboard shortcut in my case.

Is anyone else having this problem ?

Thanks.
    metatech

• metatech

metatech - 2013-10-21

In attachment, there is a screenshot of an example of this problem.

• metatech

metatech - 2013-10-21

In attachment, there is screenshot of another example (with the Opera main menu).

• metatech

metatech - 2013-10-28

Hello,
    Here is more information.
    I can reproduce it on Windows 7 64-bit and on Windows XP 32-bit.
    It is triggered by the existence of a window rule for the process.
    For instance, I create a rule :
    PN:*\opera.exe
    In the Opera main menu, I untick the option "Show Menu Bar", then click on the top-left Opera icon, and immediately after switch to another desktop with a keyboard shorcut.

When I tick the Virtuawin option "Window rule enabled", the problems happens, otherwise not.

• metatech

metatech - 2013-10-28

When inspecting the windows using the "WinLister" program, I find a window with class name "SysShadow". If I choose the option "Close selected windows" of WinLister, the ghost window disappear, without restarting Virtuawin or the application which initiated the window.
    I tried to add a window rule in Virtuawin to avoid managing those windows, but it does not seem to work.

• Johan Piculell

Johan Piculell - 2016-03-05

Hi. Was trying to take a look at this old ticket now but cannot reproduce (but on win10 nowadays).
    Maybe this is not an issue anymore?

Regards
    /Johan

• metatech

metatech - 2016-09-04

Hello Johan,
    Thanks for looking into this problem.
    I just had the opportunity to test this under a Windows 10 machine, and indeed, the behaviour is different : the "pop-up menu" of Opera 12 is not minimized anymore when switching to another desktop : it is still visible, but disappears (including its borders) when switching back to the original desktop.
    Maybe Microsoft fixed it in Windows 10 because it was also broken with their own multiple desktop implementation ?
    Regards,
    metatech

• metatech

metatech - 2016-09-05

Under Windows 10, with the program "WinLister", I can see that, when I switch to another desktop, the SysShadow "Location" attribute is not set anymore to "Minimized", as it was the case with Windows 7. It now stays to its integer horizontal/vertical pixel positions, because it the menu stays visible, including its borders. It naturally disappears when another window becomes active in the other virtual desktop, and makes the menu loose the focus, and make it and its borders disappear.

Last edit: metatech 2016-09-05

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks