Can I install virtualx on Windows Machine using xampp and RoR installed ?

Help
hsidhi
2012-11-24
2014-07-21
  • hsidhi

hsidhi - 2012-11-24

Currently I install xampp on windows 7, and then install RoR. Both installed was successfull, I can make a test page, and successfully open it.
    My question is Can I install virtualx on XAMPP for Windows ? Since I didn't find an "index.html" file in "public" folder.

• PIT Solutions

PIT Solutions - 2012-12-02

did you get our feedback regarding this question? If not, let me know

• abhishekayyagari

Can you please put it on this forum i need to do the same installing virtualx on xaamp i am running windows 7 and xampp on top of it.

• PIT Solutions

PIT Solutions - 2014-02-10

We appreciate your interest in our product. It is possible to install VirtualX in windows 7.

Also, you don't need XAMPP/WAMP server for local installation as Rails comes with a default light-weight server called Webrick and also we can use Mongrel or Thin if needed. Anyway, you can handle MySQL database through PHPMyAdmin inside XAMPP/WAMP.

For installation of VirtualX locally, Please follow the steps given below:

1. Extract the VirtualX zip folder
    2. Download & Install Rails Installer package from here. It contains Ruby 1.8.7 patch.
    3. Just run 'ruby -v' to show the ruby version installed which should be Ruby 1.8.7
    4. Rename database.yml.example file to database.yml which you can find inside the location 'VirtualX/Config'
    5. Take command prompt and go to the location of VirtualX folder (e.g. E:\VirtualX>)

6. Try running 'bundle install', it should install all the gems required to run VirtualX. Run 'bundle show' to see the installed gems.

7. Just run 'rails -v' to show the installed rails version which should be Rails 3.0.3
    8. After successful completion of the above step, just run the command 'rake db:create' to create the database. (You can see the created databases 'virtualx_development' and 'virtualx_test' inside the MySQL interface (PHPMyAdmin).
    9. Run 'rake db:schema:load' or 'rake db:migrate' to create all the tables inside the database 'virtualx_development'
    10. Run 'rake db:seed' to load all default data into the table
    11. Just run rails s, it will start the server Webrick in the default port 3000 and you can access the application at http://0.0.0.0:3000.

If you have any problems in installing and configuring the application locally, please let us know.

Last edit: PIT Solutions 2014-02-12
    • abhishekayyagari

Thank you for your reply.However my requirement was to host your application in a low cost hosting provider to conduct exams for poor students who couldn't afford expensive test packages.
      Can you pls suggest a low cost hosting service and steps for installing your product in a hosting service i have searched extensively on internet but i was not able to find any guide for installation on a hosting provider.

Thanks in advance

• aditya

aditya - 2014-02-11

Thanks for your detailed procedure to instal VirtualX on windows. I am almost done.
      But when creating table structure using rake db:schema:load I got

-- create_table("aboutus", {:force=>true})
      rake aborted!
      Mysql::Error: query: not connected: CREATE TABLE aboutus (id int(11) DEFAULT
      NULL auto_increment PRIMARY KEY, description text, locale_id int(11) DEFAUL
      T 0, created_at datetime, updated_at datetime) ENGINE=InnoDB
      (See full trace by running task with --trace)

error and while using rake db:migrate I got

rake aborted!
      Mysql::Error: query: not connected: CREATE TABLE schema_migrations (version
      varchar(255) NOT NULL) ENGINE=InnoDB

this error.
      I have followed the above procedure and at some point I need to copy he libmysql.dll into ruby/bin folder.
      The database is created successfully, but the problem is with creating tables.
      Thanks we really appreciate your support.

• aditya

aditya - 2014-02-11

Thanks for your detailed procedure to instal VirtualX on windows. I am almost done.
    But when creating table structure using rake db:schema:load I got

rake aborted!

error and while using rake db:migrate I got

rake aborted!
    Mysql::Error: query: not connected: CREATE TABLE schema_migrations (version
    varchar(255) NOT NULL) ENGINE=InnoDB

this error.

I have followed the above procedure and at some point I need to copy he libmyqsl.dll into ruby/bin folder.

The database is created successfully, but the problem is with creating tables.

Thanks we really appreciate your support.

• PIT Solutions

PIT Solutions - 2014-02-12

It seems that you are using an updated MySQL client library which doesn't play really well with Rails 3.0.3. So, the solution is simple:

Download an older MySQL client library (libmySQL.dll) from here (http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/svn/trunk/InstantRails-win/InstantRails/mysql/bin/libmySQL.dll)

Replace the same file already present in your 'C:RailsInstaller\Ruby1.8.7\bin'(path would be different - please find your 'ruby\bin' location) folder with the downloaded one

Restart your console/terminal

run rake db:migrate in your console and continue as per the instructions provided to you for the installation.

Hope that will work for you. If you need any further assistance, please let us know

• PIT Solutions

PIT Solutions - 2014-02-14

Please let us know which server platform are you looking, Windows or Linux?. We do recommend linux with debian/ubuntu flavour and it also require root or any super user privilege. So it may require VPS/Cloud servers and the are many cheap vps providers like http://www.bluevm.com ( We don't have any experience with them), http://www.hetzner.de/en/ ( They provide good performance server),

You can find low cost VPS providers at http://lowendstock.com/

We can provide VirtualX installation service for you with a fixed billing rate once you provides the server details.

Last edit: PIT Solutions 2014-02-14
  • Piyush Jain

Piyush Jain - 2014-03-31

I have seen your post
    sourceforge.net/p/virtualx/discussion/1344392/thread/4daa76b2/
    regarding installation still i dont get it i am stuck in bundle install the 6th step i have extracted the folder in c drive i dont get the installation process i have download and install ruby 1.87 Please give me the step by step installation i am a newbie to this ...
    thanking you

• PIT Solutions

PIT Solutions - 2014-04-01

Thanks for showing interest in our product. We have updated the steps for installation in the answer provided through this link http://sourceforge.net/p/virtualx/discussion/1344392/thread/4daa76b2/#4b89. Please download the rails installer package from the link provided in Step 2 ( below)and follow the steps provided. Please let me know if any issues arise in between.

Step 2. Download & Install Rails Installer package from here (http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/75114/railsinstaller-1.3.0.exe). It contains Ruby 1.8.7 patch

• Neha Sharma

Neha Sharma - 2014-07-17

Hi,
    I am trying to install VirtualX in Windows 7.I could complete step 1 to step 5 (https://sourceforge.net/p/virtualx/discussion/1344392/thread/4daa76b2/#4b89) smoothly.The ruby version installed on my system is:
    C:>ruby -v
    ruby 1.8.7 (2013-06-27 patchlevel 374) [i386-mingw32]

Now when I execute step 6 I get the following errors:

C:\VirtualX>bundle install
    C:/Ruby187/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/dependency.rb:247:in to_specs': Coul d not find bundler (>= 0) amongst [] (Gem::LoadError) from C:/Ruby187/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/dependency.rb:256:into
    _spec'
    from C:/Ruby187/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:1231:in `gem'
    from C:/RailsInstaller/Ruby2.0.0/bin/bundle:22

C:\VirtualX>bundle show
    C:/Ruby187/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/dependency.rb:247:in to_specs': Coul d not find bundler (>= 0) amongst [] (Gem::LoadError) from C:/Ruby187/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/dependency.rb:256:into
    _spec'
    from C:/Ruby187/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:1231:in `gem'
    from C:/RailsInstaller/Ruby2.0.0/bin/bundle:22

I am a novice so I don't know what this error means.Could you please help in this regard

• PIT Solutions

PIT Solutions - 2014-07-18

Please run the below command and install bundler before you run 'bundle install' command.

gem install bundler

if it doesn't work, please get back to us with the below details.

Rails Installer version you have used
    URL for downloading the same Rails installer package for windows

• Neha Sharma

Neha Sharma - 2014-07-19

Thanks for your reply.
    I have now succeeded in execution till Step 7.Now, when I rum the command 'rake db:create'
    I get the following errors:

(in C:/VirtualX)
    Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO).
    Please provide the root password for your mysql installation

root

And when I run the command 'rake db:schema:load' I get the following errors:

(in C:/VirtualX)
    rake aborted!

As mentioned above in one of the comments,I opened this link http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/svn/trunk/InstantRails-win/InstantRails/mysql/bin/libmySQL.dll
    but this webpage is not available.

I am working with Ruby 1.8.7,Rails 3.0.3,MySQL 5.0.45.Now where shall I download the libmySQL.dll ???
    I really appreciate your kind support.

• Neha Sharma

Neha Sharma - 2014-07-21

Thank you so much...I was able to install the system successfully.
    Now when I want to register a new examiner, I am getting the following error:

RuntimeError in UsersController#create

Missing host to link to! Please provide :host parameter or set default_url_options[:host]
    Rails.root: C:/VirtualX

Application Trace | Framework Trace | Full Trace
    app/mailers/user_mailer.rb:165:in user_set_password' app/controllers/users_controller.rb:53:increate'
    Request

Parameters:

{"commit"=>"Create",
    "user"=>{"role_id"=>"2",
    "is_approved"=>"1",
    "name"=>"P.Cauvery",
    "login"=>"cauvery",
    "email"=>"cauvery.gibs@gmail.com"},
    "authenticity_token"=>"/Bk4dRziBRMnc/M0ELsgrcNsu4NgvGv6ykz88ntnYlc=",
    "utf8"=>"✓"}

Show session dump

_csrf_token: "/Bk4dRziBRMnc/M0ELsgrcNsu4NgvGv6ykz88ntnYlc="
    session_id: "18cc16e0c0863edd44681d05d9ca7e7c"
    user_credentials: "4a2901a9ed0cf0479f9ff697c9de12b41e19b6554dd7de7f3dc4b7f511e2315ceca39a91833d5da49e804bd26c50b366e92f22d052cd92cb1c10a5e6d9b978bc"
    user_credentials_id: 1

Response

Headers:

None

• PIT Solutions

PIT Solutions - 2014-07-21

Please open the database configuration file (database.yml) from 'Config/' directory to find the below contents and do necessary updates as oulined below.

development:
    adapter: mysql
    database: virtualx_development
    host: localhost
    username: root <-- (Replace it if the Username for MySQL is not 'root')
    password: <-- (Please note that here you have to enter the password you have used for MySQL)
    encoding: utf8

Also, we have uploaded the 'libmysql.dll' library in source forge repository. Please download it from this link http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualx/files/Support_Files/Windows/libmysql.dll/download and copy it to the location as said in the link http://sourceforge.net/p/virtualx/discussion/1344392/thread/4daa76b2/#fc11.

If all goes successfully, please proceed with the rest of the steps, i.e., starting from 'rake db:create'. Hope this helps you to move forward and complete the installation.

• PIT Solutions

PIT Solutions - 2014-07-21

The error reported raised as the host is not configured via Settings Page. Refer User Manual provided for more specific details.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks