No longer maintained?

Ash Harper
2010-10-18
2016-12-14
  • Ash Harper

Ash Harper - 2010-10-18

I am assuming that this project is no longer maintained?

• Ash Harper

Ash Harper - 2010-10-18

Is there any documentation that anyone is aware of?

• Francois Ferrand

Not really maintained anymore, though i hope i can pickup development again sometime…
    And sorry, no documentation….

• Andrew Mann

Andrew Mann - 2010-10-24

I have a Word doc, pretty minimal.  I must have gotten it here.

Don't see an easy way to upload it.

• J.V.

J.V. - 2015-03-05

Is there a good commercial alternative to Virtual Dimension? It keeps hanging/freezing on Windows 7, there are a few needed features and I am willing to pay money for a good (similar) alternative. All the alternatives I have tried limit the amount of desktops I can create (usually 4).

For some reason I cannot share some windows with 'All desktops' and other solutions I have tried are clunky.

Are there no virtual desktop solutions out there for Windows?

Last edit: J.V. 2015-03-05
  • Michael Lackner

Michael Lackner - 2016-07-28

This is the single best solution I've ever seen for multiple desktops on Windows. And I took the time to test a LOT of them, Dexpot, Finestra, VirtuaWin, the Sysinternals thing, the stuff from Xilisoft and many others.

Like seriously every single one I could find, searching the web for 1-2 hours. No matter if commercial, freeware or truly free software. VD works like a charm on my XP x64 workstation (yeah, it's still a thing) and even on Windows 10 x64, something it could've never been intended to work on. Yet it still does!

Sure there are some minor bugs, problems with code injection and all that (encountered some of them myself), but given it's the fastest, most lightweight and most functional (and hence, from a software user point of view: "most beautiful") solution, I want this to remain IN DEVELOPMENT.

It would be a shame to throw away good software like this and not to fix the few issues it has. :( There are so few programs which are actually really good, and this is one of them. Additionally to clink, puTTY, Xming and several GNU and BSD command line tools, this is one of the reasons I can still bear using Windows (I still have to after all).

Last edit: Michael Lackner 2016-07-28
    • tomten

tomten - 2016-07-29
      Post awaiting moderation.
    • tomten

tomten - 2016-07-29
      Post awaiting moderation.
    • Andrew Mann

Andrew Mann - 2016-07-31

I agree, still using it on my Windows 8.1 Surface, nothing else works as well (or
      works at all).

But I fear it's all it's ever going to be ...

Andrew Mann

Andy@AndrewMannConsulting.com Andy@AndrewMannConsulting.com

PO Box 20

S. Pomfret, VT 05067

802-457-4454

Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2016 16:33
      To: [virt-dimension:discussion] 254546@discussion.virt-dimension.p.re.sf.net
      Subject: [virt-dimension:discussion] No longer maintained?

This is the single best solution I've ever seen for multiple desktops on Windows. And
      I took the time to test a LOT of them, Dexpot, Finestra, VirtuaWin, the Sysinternals
      thing, the stuff from Xilisoft and many others.

Like seriously every single one I could find, searching the web for 1-2 hours. No
      matter if commercial, freeware or truly free software. VD works like a charm on my XP
      x64 workstation (yeah, it's still a thing) and even on Windows 10 x64, something it
      could've never been intended to work on. Yet it still does!

Sure there are some minor bugs, problems with code injection and all that
      (encountered some of them myself), but given it's the fastest, most lightweight and
      most functional (and hence, from a software user point of view:"most beautiful")
      solution, I want this to remain IN DEVELOPMENT.

It would be a shame to throw away good software like this and not to fix the few
      issues it has. :( There are so few programs which are actually really good, and this
      is one of them. Additionally to clink, puTTY, Xming and several GNU and BSD command
      line tools, this is one of the reasons I can still bear using Windows (I still have
      to after all).

No longer maintained?
      <https://sourceforge.net/p/virt-dimension/discussion/254546/thread/7e45d775/?limit=25

044c>

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
      https://sourceforge.net/p/virt-dimension/discussion/254546/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
      https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Martin Egholm

Martin Egholm - 2016-08-03

Ditto!

Note, there is a newer build in the patches section with a few new features:
    https://sourceforge.net/p/virt-dimension/patches/4/

• Michael Lackner

Michael Lackner - 2016-12-14

Ah, thanks for that!

I've also found two more interesting things.

1.) Some windows can not be seen in the preview tiles, and are also present on all Desktops. Examples would be Valves' Steam client or the DCC/XDCC file transfer window spawned by X-Chat and the newer Hexchat. You can't move them around at all, they're just on all desktops. Binding them to a single one simply doesn't work, as those windows won't show up in the preview tiles. Right clicking on the tiles won't show them in the Window list either.

I tried to inspect the windows using NirSofts WinExplorer, but couldn't find any window properties that would indicate this kind of behavior.

2.) Modern UI ("Metro") apps as seen in Windows 8.1 and 10 can be moved around between desktops, but won't show up on the preview tiles either.

3.) I really wish I could speak C++... :(

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks