#4 Installation Issue - Setup.py


There are some problems with the way you made the setup.py file. I'm relatively new to Linux, but I'm guessing that you made this for Linux due to your instructions on installation and from looking at how you label paths/directories.

I'm using Windows XP.

Here's the error I get while trying "python.exe setup.py install":

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "setup.py", line 14, in <module>
File "C:\Python25\Lib\distutils\core.py", line 151, in setup
File "C:\Python25\Lib\distutils\dist.py", line 974, in run_commands
File "C:\Python25\Lib\distutils\dist.py", line 994, in run_command
File "C:\Python25\Lib\distutils\command\install.py", line 510, in run
File "C:\Python25\Lib\distutils\cmd.py", line 333, in run_command
File "C:\Python25\Lib\distutils\dist.py", line 994, in run_command
File "C:\Python25\Lib\distutils\command\install_data.py", line 62, in run
dir = convert_path(f[0])
File "C:\Python25\Lib\distutils\util.py", line 138, in convert_path
raise ValueError, "path '%s' cannot be absolute" % pathname
ValueError: path '/usr/share/vinetto' cannot be absolute

I didn't have a lot of time to use the computer, so all I was able to find from a little research was advice to not use "data_files" and instead use "package_data" in the setup.py file.

After that, a test of vinetto produced this predictable error message:

The syntax of the command is incorrect.
Note: DIR was created
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\New Stuff\Thumbs.db
\vinetto-beta-0.07\build\scripts-2.5\vinetto.py", line 160, in <module>
header = open("/usr/share/vinetto/header","rb").read()
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/share/vinetto/header'

I was able to fix everything in the end with some very very (the very's go on for a while) crude changes to the directory names in the setup.py file, but all that accomplishes is making it work for my machine alone (specific directory names and all that). I've never really used disutils, so I haven't had a chance to mess around with it and figure out a real solution for this.

I made the changes to setup.py, made corresponding directory name changes in vinetto.py, and changed a '/' to a '\\' (line 77) for dealing with the output directory.

As a side note - once I made the fixes to the directory names and all that, the program worked like a charm :D lol

Sorry for saving that till the very end, but the application itself seems perfect for extracting from thumbs.db files :)

My Email: Jfrost4u at (HATE SPAM) yahoo dot com


  • rukin

    rukin - 2007-08-19
    • status: open --> open-accepted
  • rukin

    rukin - 2007-08-19

    Logged In: YES
    Originator: NO

    You are right. I made vinetto for use in unix-like environments (Linux, Cygwin, Mac OS X, ...). I'll try to see if I can do something for windowsTM.
    Thanks four your post and comment.



Log in to post a comment.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

Sign up for the SourceForge newsletter:

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks