Menu

Cannot read folders, receive only spinning cursor

Help
2023-02-16
2023-02-21
  • Omar Willey

Omar Willey - 2023-02-16

Hi, I'm having some strange errors with VietOCR on ArchLinux. I start the program using

./ocr
    I try to open a new file. But VietOCR won't read my Documents folder. I get the following:

Exception in thread "Basic L&F File Loading Thread" java.nio.file.InvalidPathException: Malformed input or input contains unmappable characters: /.../Downloads/Docs of Sort/????????????.html
        at java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixPath.encode(UnixPath.java:121)
        at java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixPath.(UnixPath.java:68)
        at java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixFileSystem.getPath(UnixFileSystem.java:278)
        at java.base/java.nio.file.Path.of(Path.java:147)
        at java.base/java.nio.file.Paths.get(Paths.java:69)
        at java.desktop/sun.awt.shell.ShellFolder.getShellFolder(ShellFolder.java:262)
        at java.desktop/javax.swing.filechooser.FileSystemView.getFiles(FileSystemView.java:585)
        at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicDirectoryModel$FilesLoader.run0(BasicDirectoryModel.java:306)
        at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicDirectoryModel$FilesLoader.run(BasicDirectoryModel.java:295)
        at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:1589)

It just gives me a spinning cursor, until I cancel. I get this error with several different folders.

<pre> Exception in thread "Basic L&F File Loading Thread" java.nio.file.InvalidPathException: Malformed input or input contains unmappable characters: /.../Japanese Ammo with Misa/Sentence Ending Particles??? ?????? (yo)??? = ANNOYING??? & ??? (ne) & ?????? (yone) & ?????? (kke) [szjfbOZmY1k].mp4
    at java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixPath.encode(UnixPath.java:121)
    at java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixPath.<init>(UnixPath.java:68)
    at java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixFileSystem.getPath(UnixFileSystem.java:278)
    at java.base/java.nio.file.Path.of(Path.java:147)
    at java.base/java.nio.file.Paths.get(Paths.java:69)
    at java.desktop/sun.awt.shell.ShellFolder.getShellFolder(ShellFolder.java:262)
    at java.desktop/javax.swing.filechooser.FileSystemView.getFiles(FileSystemView.java:585)
    at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicDirectoryModel$FilesLoader.run0(BasicDirectoryModel.java:306)
    at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicDirectoryModel$FilesLoader.run(BasicDirectoryModel.java:295)
        at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:1589)</pre>

Exception in thread "Basic L&F File Loading Thread" java.nio.file.InvalidPathException: Malformed input or input contains unmappable characters: /.../Documents/xkeyboard-config_chromebook.patch at master ?? GalliumOS_xkeyboard-config ?? GitHub.html

In each case the error is the same. It happens with files in different languages, not just English.

This does NOT happen if I start with

java -jar VietOCR.jar

But if I start with the JAR file, I sometimes run into Out of Memory or Java Heap errors. So I like to start with the OCR executable.

Suggestions? I am on ArchLinux 6.1.12-arch1-1 with openjdk 19.0.2 2023-01-17, OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 19.0.2+7), and OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 19.0.2+7, mixed mode).

Last edit: Omar Willey 2023-02-16
  • Quan Nguyen

Quan Nguyen - 2023-02-21

It appears that the program cannot read the specified file because of the file name or path contains Unicode characters. At the beginning of the script, export LC_ALL=C was set, which might have interfered with that.

https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/what-lcall-variable

You can either remove that line or run at the command line with options to give more heap memory for Java program startup.

java -Xms128m -Xmx2048m -jar VietOCR.jar

https://docs.oracle.com/en/java/javase/13/docs/specs/man/java.html