Welcome to Open Discussion

2008-11-04
2013-05-02
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Welcome to Open Discussion

• Dirk Merkel

Dirk Merkel - 2009-03-10

Hi,

I've been a long-time user of VisualHub and I must say that this first version of VideoMonkey is very encouraging. I was able to convert my first video without a hitch. I hope you will be able to continue to make progress. I don't have time myself, but the best way to ensure a project's longevity is to get contributors involved.

Again, great job so far.

-D

• Euripides

Euripides - 2009-03-10

Well done! Great work, until now i have no problem with converting multiple videos ;)

Congrats

• Chris Marrin

Chris Marrin - 2009-03-10

This is all good to hear. Please let me know if you encounter any snags, or if any thoughts come to mind about how to improve the workflow.

• Dave

Dave - 2009-03-25

Great start, thanks for taking this on.  Does Videomonkey support stitching together multiple videos like Visualhub did?  If not, any chance we'll see that function added at some point?

• kemeng

kemeng - 2009-03-26

Great idea and nice first release!

Bugs:
      - You can't drop (or add) video files while you don't choose one of the available formats (at first start)
      - You can drop (or add from toolbar or menubar) non-video files (.srt, pdf, etc.)
      - Conversation (ffmpeg) engine uses only 50% of the Dual2Core processor capacity (Seems to be engine uses only 1 of 2 processors)

Ideas:
      - Subtitle (or Perian) support(!!!) It's very important for non-english speaking locations
      - PAL/NTSC/Custom frames
      - Progress column shows percentage of progress
      - Console window shows conversation starting and ending time (like in Info window of ffmpegX progress)

Suggestions:
      - 1000 kbit/s is very good bitrate for normal (WiFi) H.264 video conversations (It's enought between 360-450 kbit/s)
      - Disk image and drag and drop method (or other compressed archive) the best way for install. You don't necessary installer (.pkg and admin password)
      - My opinion you sould check ffmpegX.app (It's the best video conversation tool for OS X)

• Stuart

Stuart - 2009-04-08

Thanks heaps for taking on this project - I live and die with Visual Hub - it is the best conversion tool that I have come across, and I have been lamenting for ages the demise of Techspansion.

I am estatic to see the project moving again, as I was cursing the fact that Techspansion was closed without this project being rehoused.  I'd happily pay for a commercial version of it, (which I did with Visual Hub), it is definitely that good.

I hope that at some stage you might take on Audial Hub as well - it had serious promise, and I missed getting it before it was too late.

If you ever get that far, it would be cool to see Video Monkey utilising the Elgato Turbo.264.  The software that comes with the Elgato is inferior to Visual Hub (and presumably Video Monkey), and I'd really like to use the Turbo.264 hardware with the Video Monkey software as a complete solution.

Keep going - I'm sure there are some teething issues to sort out, but the project is definitely worth pursuing.