Menu

Feature Request - Converting MKVs...

2009-08-07
2013-05-02
  • Chris Tomkinson

Chris Tomkinson - 2009-08-07

For a long time I've struggled trying to find a program to convert MKV video files with subtitles in them. I was hoping it would be a feature added to visualhub, and then development on that stopped. But here comes Video Monkey to save the day!! Please please add this feature! I will love you forever!

• Chris Marrin

Chris Marrin - 2009-08-08

Video Monkey has no subtitle support at the moment. But generally it should support mkv file transcoding. If someone wants to add support for subtitles that would be greatly appreciated!

• Chris Tomkinson

Chris Tomkinson - 2009-08-09

How would we go about adding that ourselves...? I've spent the last couple of days trying to find other solutions to see if anything has changed in the last while since I tried... and some things have, but mostly not.

MKVTools (http://www.emmgunn.com/mokgvm2dvd/mokgvmhome.html) is a great app which works really well for working with MKV files. It advertises having the ability to convert MKVs with subs, and works somewhat... unfortunately for all the files I've tried either the video gets cut about halfway and the sound is off sync, or the video finishes but the sound cuts halfway...

Better than nothing but definitely not satisfactory. So... again

How would we go about "adding support for subtitles" into a program that isn't ours? If I knew anything about programming I would've made my own solution for this a long long time ago..

• randyharris

randyharris - 2009-08-20

HandBrake can convert MKV's and embed subtitles in the resulting video.

• Jason D

Jason D - 2009-08-23

If you can get Handbrake to even attempt to encode an MKV you can try that, but other than that Handbrake is totally unreliable when it comes to MKV files. Big bag of hurt, extremely buggy, and totally useless if you ask me.

• Chris Tomkinson

Chris Tomkinson - 2009-08-23

Indeed. Handbrake never worked properly for me except for ripping DVDs (which it did quite nicely...)

When I stuck MKVs in it the result it spat out was horrible (like vomit) and although it advertises the ability to embed subtitles... it didn't work on any of the mkvs I tried.

I did find a program called MKVtools that has worked really well for the most part, although I've had some trouble with the latest version (2.2) 2.1, works rather nicely for the most part.

I would still love it if videomonkey could implement this though...