Menu

Error in documentation: command line usage

bh25
2015-10-02
2015-10-07
  • bh25

bh25 - 2015-10-02

On the docs for command line usage (https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Command%20Line%20Usage), there is an error:

/cache or /c: If it is followed by y or yes no parameter: enable password cache;

What does that mean? I read it to mean that the default value for the parameter is yes, but in testing, it seems the default parameter is no. Could you state what is the default parameter actually?

Wonderful software. Thank you, Mounir!

• Mounir IDRASSI

Mounir IDRASSI - 2015-10-03

The default value for /cache switch is "yes" so /cache alone will enable password cache.

Can you please give more details about your testing that contradicts this? I just checked it and it works as expected.

I clarified the documentation. Thank you for reporting this and for your kind words.

• bh25

bh25 - 2015-10-07

I'm using a .bat script with the following command to mount:
      "VeraCrypt1.15-winPortable\VeraCrypt.exe" /e /q background /m rm /v "Volume.hc" /hash sha512 /l H

In the resulting popup, the "Cache passwords and keyfiles in memory" checkbox is not checked. I took this to mean the option switch was set as no by default?

Ah!!! It seems there is confusion between:
      1) no parameter after the /cache switch (defaults to yes?)
      2) and no /cache switch at all (defaults to no?)

Are those correct?

Last edit: bh25 2015-10-07
  • bh25

bh25 - 2015-10-06

I'm using a .bat script with the following command to mount:
    "VeraCrypt1.15-winPortable\VeraCrypt.exe" /e /q background /m rm /v "Volume.hc" /hash sha512 /l H

In the resulting popup, the "Cache passwords and keyfiles in memory" checkbox is not checked. I took this to mean the option switch was set as no by default?

Last edit: bh25 2015-10-07
    • Enigma2Illusion

Enigma2Illusion - 2015-10-06

You still need to supply the /cache or /c switch in your command line to control the caching.

If it is followed by y or yes or if no parameter is specified: enable password cache;
      if it is followed by n or no: disable password cache (e.g., /c n).
      if it is followed by f or favorites: temporary cache password when mounting multiple favorites (e.g., /c f).
      Note that turning the password cache off will not clear it (use /w to clear the password cache).

• bh25

bh25 - 2015-10-06

But I understood a "default value" to be what operated when I didn't specify the switch? ;-)

And in that case, it seems to be "no" (disable password cache) in my ad hoc testing.

• Enigma2Illusion

Enigma2Illusion - 2015-10-06

Good question since the command line documentation does not show what is the default for the various switches if they are not provided in the command line.