Menu

Any hope to port it to freebsd?

Benji
2018-12-16
2019-02-06
  • Benji

Benji - 2018-12-16

Seems that this hasn't asked in quite some time so, maybe is worth to ask again.

I work with freebsd (freenas to be precise) and since they introduced bhyve and jail, and hypervisor and a OS continer (similar to LXC), usbip would become incredibly useful to it.

Both soultions I mentioned don't offer any easy way to bypass USB devices to guest images. USBIP would fill this lack wonderfully.

I alredy asked to freenas but not much can be done from his side seems.

• Alexandre Demers

Hi Benji. If I understand correctly your request, you would like to have USB/IP run under FreeBSD as it runs under Linux or Windows, is that it? This could surely be done. The driver would be the hardest part to port. I would be tempted to take the Linux' driver and work from there though.

Please, add a feature request under my GitHub account. I'm not working with FreeBSD, but I could have a look at it at some point. I'm mostly working under Windows and Linux for the time being. My main work is focused on bringing the Windows driver and userspace tools on par (as much as possible) with the Linux counterparts.

https://github.com/Oxalin/usbip_windows

• Daniel Morante

Daniel Morante - 2019-02-06

If you do decide to port (which I hope you do) I can help out with the packaging and service scripts. I really look foward to using both the client and server version on FreeBSD, but I'd be happy for now just having the client.