How to get 3D distance from sensors

Help
John
2012-11-03
2012-12-14
  • John

John - 2012-11-03

Hi all,

I am wondering how to extract 3D distances from the robot to an obstacle. I have 2 ideas, but I am not sure if they are workable (or practical).

1) Use the range scanner sensor, setting both bPitch and bYaw to true, to force it to scan in both XY and XZ planes.
    But i am not sure if it works, or if this works, how would the return SEN message look like. Would it be like:

{list of sensor readings by scanning the XY plane} followed by {list of sensor readings by scanning the XZ plane}?

2) Alternatively I know that there is a RangeScanner3D sensor available under the .ini file. However my same question applies, how does the return SEN message look like? I couldn't seem to find it under the manual.

Any help is very much appreciated. Please let me know if my above statements are wrong.

Thanks in advance.

• Stephen Balakirsky

I am not sure how the sen message would look. However, it is easy to find out. Run the iridium UI and check the "log sensors" box. It will then print out the received sensor messages. Please feel free to update the wiki with the information when you get it! Thanks.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks