Menu

Multi Echos Capability for UXM-30LXH-EWA

Anonymous
2017-03-09
2017-03-23
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2017-03-09

Hi,

I am new to the captioned lidar sensor; I like to seek your help to clarify some of its funcational capabilities. Wonder if you know the so called "Multi Echo" function of the device is meaning dual return signal of lidar that most of the other lidar equipments is using? I am concerns about this, not beacuse its capability to work in harsh environemnt, but in clarifying whether this device can be used for terrain mapping and vegetation canopy mapping as well, although it may not originally design to do so.

Dual return signal is necessary for lidar point cloud post processing, in order to classify bare ground surface and other non bare ground object i.e. building or vegetation?

Appreciated for your help!

Eric

• Santosh

Santosh - 2017-03-10

Hi Eric,

The term "Multi Echo" in Hokuyo products can be defined as multiple return of a single laser beam. This occours when there are small or transparent objects in front of the sensor which do not completely block the laser spot allowing it to travel further beyond and find another object in the same line. In such cases, 2 or more signals are detected by the device, each of which are reflected from these objects. These signals can be properly analyzed to judge the accurate position of the intended object.

Examples when the multiple echo are detected include, dusty, rainy or foggy environment, or when there are transparent objects around the sensor or when the laser spot partially hits the edge of an object.

Can you provide the details of your application? ie, what you intended to detect and where you want to use, indoor or outdoor and the device you are currently using!

Thanks.
    Santosh

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2017-03-10

Hi Santosh,

Thanks for replying my questions. Our application is 3D mapping of the ground surface by lidar point cloud. Mainly for outdoor usage. The objects that we want to detect are bare ground surface distance to the sensor, vegetation i.e.tree canopy distance to the senor and other man made features expecially buildings distance to the sensor.

Could you tell more about the content of the output data of this lidar sensor, for example, does it include return lidar signal amptitude, distance to sensor, time of the return signal record.....etc......

Currently, we do not have smsilar lidar edquipment, but we are looking for suittable lidar sensor to integrate into our product.

Also, is there any chance that there is email address for contacting you in case we needed?

Regards,

Eric

• Santosh

Santosh - 2017-03-13

Hi Eric,
    Thanks for the information.

Are you planning to put the sensor on a drone like device and measure distances to the tree canopy, buildings or ground from the sky?

Sensors, UXM-30LXH-EWA and UXM-30LX-EW, will provide you; time-stamp, distance and the received signal amplitude, which is termed "intensity" in Hokuyo products.
    Based on the density of the vegetation, you can expect to receive multi echoes in such applications (one for the canopy and the other for the ground). You will get distance and intensity for both the echoes.

Can you give me your email address for the contact? Or you can send emails to
    overseas-sales@hokuyo-aut.co.jp.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2017-03-14

Hi Santosh,

Email sent to your given address, pls check.

Eric

• Santosh

Santosh - 2017-03-17

Hi Eric,
    I tried to locate your email but failed.
    Can you send it one more time?
    Sorry for the trouble.

Santosh.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2017-03-21

Hi Santosh,

I just sent the email, pls check again.

Eric

Anonymous
Anonymous

Add attachments
Cancel