Developers: Mailinglist or forum?

2004-02-19
2004-02-21
  • Luc Verhaegen

Luc Verhaegen - 2004-02-19

Why do i create a seperate topic for this; well, this needs to be resolved pretty soon so that development can start/resume without too much interruption.

In our private discussions, Ivor preferred a mailinglist, i do too, thomas did not express an opinion (yet)

A mailing list is imho easier to keep track of, only needs a mail client and is easily searchable.

So, opinions please...

• Tony Grant

Tony Grant - 2004-02-19

Yes please. I don't like forums at all. 

• Martin Zi.

Martin Zi. - 2004-02-20

Hi :)

i not very improved programmer ... c (not c++) is my life ... I don't like lists very much buch they have several + but I don not like the mass of messages ...

I think a good solution is a list with offline / online archive (online archive see mythtv.org) ... I like it very much ... is it possible to post to list via forum archive ?

Martin

• Ivor Hewitt

Ivor Hewitt - 2004-02-20

Yup personally I feel mailing lists are essential.
      "unichrome-users" and "unichrome-dev"
      Martin, the sf mailing lists provide an online archive that can be browsed. AFAIK no you can't post via the forum.
      It would be nice to have the sf forums and mailing lists linked but I don't believe it can work that way.

• Luc Verhaegen

Luc Verhaegen - 2004-02-20

It seems as if we just need to go ahead on those, as no-one else apparently is interested. Anyway, if they end up complaining, we can always refer them to this forum-thread.

• Thomas Hellström

Aargh!
      but Ok, I'm on, Finally I'll have to install that email filter. I need to be able to reply.

Thomas

• Luc Verhaegen

Luc Verhaegen - 2004-02-20

> Aargh!
      Ah, finally! an opinion!
      > but Ok,
      and now a contradiction? Now i'm confused :ppp

• Luc Verhaegen

Luc Verhaegen - 2004-02-21

Well, for me those two lists are ok and i doubt that many folk will add to this thread soon.

You can "monitor" this forum btw, that will get you a mail on your sourceforge account everytime something happens. (easier to keep track off than "X replies")

• Ivor Hewitt

Ivor Hewitt - 2004-02-21

Done.

unichrome-devel (had to be 4+ chars)
      unichrome-users