Could you make Ultumix like this

2008-02-22
2013-04-15
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Could you look into making Ultumix like this distro. It's not only stunning, but a lot of original work put into it.

http://famelix.com.br/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=32

• Nobody/Anonymous

I was just going to post that....  Looks like someone beat you with a distro that looks almost exactly like windows, and it's been around for quite a while.  Also based on Debian instead of Mint/'buntu, meaning it should be less buggy, and applications/system performance/installation should be much better as well.  Looks like they put some actual effort into it, and included actual original work as well.

• Nobody/Anonymous

What distro would that be? I haven't seen one yet. Linux-XP is not Debian based and has bad hardware support, minime is still rpm based and has less hardware support, So what are you talking about?

• Nobody/Anonymous

I guess I would be talking about Famelix, the distro referenced in the first post in this thread.  Do you need new glasses, or did you even check out the link and look at the screenshots?

• Nobody/Anonymous

The problem with their "Original work" is that it's not original at all. Even though they may have created those graphics they are identical to the ones used by Microsoft. If I built an OS that way in the US I would be locked up in jail. I don't mind making the interface like windows but making it exactly the same is another story. I believe downloading their distro in this country would be illegal.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Yeouxh, recived an update from this log and  I only clicked the link and went to the sight that was hosting.
              Its on the Distro watch ..now that confuses me How does the  Distro Wtch work and I thaught only legit OS could be placed there.
              faelinx hmm, it is all in spansih but from waht I could translate roughly, is that the yare having issues with downloads atm lol

Yeha they are getting hit really hard, Now what happens s some poor newby comes across this sight?
              Ph and eh I can use a translator to interpret everything. but if they been up for a while something must be legit, unless different country different rules?

ok Now this is getting really confusing.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Looks like their site must be getting hit pretty hard now, at least it's not working for me at the moment, here are older screenshots from last year, not the new version.  The new version looks like vista as well.

http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opensource/linux/screenshots/index.php?os=famelix

• Nobody/Anonymous

Had to aos problems com downloads because of overload two servants, we are disponibilizando or famelix via torrent…
        Or protocol torrent, não tem or problem of overload two servants, já that próprios you peers (pessoas that estão baixando) ajudam to distribute or arquivo (of acordo com ace baixadas parts I tied or moment).
        Após to baixar to iso, we requested ourselves that quem to puder, após to baixar deixe or torrent like Seeder to ajudar to manter or torrent sempre alive.
        In order to baixar to iso do famelix via torrent você preciza of um client bittorrent (Like azureus, bitcomet, bittorrent etc.)
        ainda to tiver itself duvidas prunes to touch to ler um tutorial

basically there saying there servers are overloded try to use the torrents. erg....to do thi propperly, ill need to do 3 words at a time or one paragraph at a time

• Nobody/Anonymous

eh ok found hte english sight lol
        Famelix 2.1 RC1: Hasta la Vista, Baby!!
        Por Mayko Nestor Meier  
        22 de fevereiro de 2008
        With a popularized phrase by the Governor of California, Arnold Schwarznegger, we present our new version of Famelix to users of the english language.
        It is with great satisfaction that the group of developers and users Famelix GNU/Linux, announced the launch of Famelix 2.1 - Release Candidate 1, and many new features in this version are present.

Famelix is a Brazilian desktop distribution. We hope (the developers) that this version is easy and convenient to use. So Newcomers should immediately feel at home.

* Support for five languages - Portuguese, Italian, Spanish, German and English;
            * auto-mounting: CD Rom and DVD Rom,Floppy, Pen Drive, etc...
            * automatic package updates from the new Famelix repository;
            * Development of new OS based on pure Debian using Live Script which allows greater compatibility.
            * Support for various wireless network cards;
            * support for 3D desktop effects on NVIDIA, ATI and Intel graphics cards;
            * Compiz Fusion with all plugins enable.
            * New and revamped Control Panel with new a great facilities to the users.
            * Support Cameras and Scanners.
            * Support for Laptop.
            * Support for Bluetooth devices.
            * New system installer in order to ease the installation process for new Linux users.
            * Support for Adobe Flash player 9.

You can download an ISO image directly from here .

• Nobody/Anonymous

I don't use that OS for a reason. It's because I think it's illegal to download and use in the USA. Thats good enough for me. My server got overloaded too. Thats why I don't use an FTP server anymore.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Ouch on the serve rand understood on the legality thing

• Nobody/Anonymous

the language is poteguise
      Manual de Instalação do Famelix <Manual of Installation of the Famelix >

tried spanish and it really messed up lol

• Nobody/Anonymous

Notice
      Famelix 2,1 Release Candidate
      21 of February of 2008
      ATTENTION:

In the version Release Candidade 1, it has a problem:
          For the internal use of the desenvolvedores Alias of the Site of the Famelix was added, pointing with respect to the address of the internal net in the /etc/hosts archive.

This means that after installed, when requesting the site of famelix.com .br in its browser it will go to point with respect to the address of the internal net. Making with that the navigation does not occur.
      The too much sites will function correctly.

o decide this problem, 2 solutions exist:

- For who already it made download of iso or is making:
          The following commands in the Konsole effect the installation after:
             grep - v 192.168.3.251 /etc/hosts > /tmp/hosts
             sudo mv /tmp/hosts /etc/hosts
          This command will decide the problem removing existing Alias.

- For who it still did not make download of iso:
              Already we are sending the version Release Candidate 2, for who did not lower can lower the correct version. Still in day 22/02 already it will be available for Download.

Portuguese     Deutsch     English     Español   Free

Olá Italian Community!  

It is with great satisfaction that the Group of Desenvolvedores and Usuários of the Famelix GNU/Linux, announces the launching of Famelix 2,1 - Release Candidate 1, and in this version many new features are gifts. They see some of them:

It has supported the 5 languages: Portuguese, Italian, Spaniard, German and English;
            Automatic assembly of Compact disc, Pendrive, Floppies, etc;
            Automatic update of Packages (Also of the new Repository of the Famelix);
            Development of a new in debian directly pure based Operational system, using Live Scripts, what it allows to greater compatibility with the same;
            It has supported the diverse Wireless Plates;
            It has supported 3d in plates nVidia, ATI and Intel;
            Compiz Fusion, with all its Functionalities;
            New Panel of Control, with many functions and easinesses to the user;
            It has supported Câmeras and Scanner's;
            It has supported the SATA2;
            Support for Laptop's;
            It has supported the Bluetooth;
            New Installer, with intention to facilitate the use for the user;
            It has supported Flash 9;
      The Link for Download already is available here.
      Last Update (22 of February of 2008)

The Link for Download already is available here.
      Last Update (22 of February of 2008)

Famelix in Fisl 9
      21 of January of 2008
      the GDU Famelix, one more time present in the Fisl.
      “The International Forum Free Software (fisl) is a technology event that happens has 8 years in Porto Alegre, Rio Grande Do Sul, Brazil. Fisl if detaches for being a space of convergence of diverse sectors of the society, creating a direct communication channel between creators and users of technology in individual and institucional level.
      Fisl is a space of debate not only on the technologies in itself, but also of its effect in the society.
      Moreover, the event already was palco for great events of the technology and culture, as launching of the Project Creative Commons in Brazil, and also 2a. International conference on the GPLv3. Acordos e cooperações internacionais, além de inúmeras parcerias, foram estabelecidas, ou iniciadas durante o Fórum Internacional Software Livre.
      Desde sua primeira edição, realizada em 2000, o Fórum Internacional Software Livre tem apresentado crescimento em seu público, sendo hoje um evento que conta com a participação de mais de 5.000 pessoas." (http://fisl.softwarelivre.org)
      Contamos com a sua presença para nos encontrarmos no Fisl 9, que acontecerá nos dias 17, 18 e 19 de Abril de 2008.
      Nosso grupo está formando uma caravana para que todos possam participar deste grandioso evento. mais informações maykomeier EM gmail PONTO com.
      Não deixe de participar e conseguir sua cópia do Famelix GNU/Linux 2.1 no Estande de Grupos de Usuários do Famelix (Os membros estarão presentes para socializar e conhecer pessoas, tirar dúvidas e compartilhar seu conhecimento).
      No ano passado a participação do Fisl foi um sucesso, conhecemos muitos usuários do Famelix GNU/Linux, Colaboradores de outros países e até usuários interessados que hoje participam do desenvolvimento do nosso trabalho.
      Faça como o GDU Famelix,
      Participe!

ok my poor aky breaky translater has a headche
      hope makes some sense

• Nobody/Anonymous

Warning :
      This cybernetic entity has became overloaded and has became unstable Due to the massive power requirements needed for translating the documents.

i would not have suffered this ill fate had I not been programmed By MS I would not have suffered such fits.

I seem to have errors and can not compensate. my prgram is crashing..you thought the blue and red screens of death were bad,

It is worse for a cyborg as theses errors could cause loss of life to self or to others.Or loss of Property.
      The fail safes in my Neural network have failed as well.

System going critical...

Must...get...l.i.n.u.x....

• Nobody/Anonymous

I tried Famelix v2.0 and 2.1 as Live CD. Yea, they look nice but they are a bit of mongrel to find anything and for some odd reason one or other just insisted in running spanish even after I promted it to use english. It is however very pretty. I still try 2 or 3 new distro's a week and find Ultumix 0.0.1.1 and Ubuntu Ultimate 1.7 as TOP notch. I am downloading Ultumix 0.0.1.4 and will work it out.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I think you will find that Ultumix 0014 is what your looking for.

• Nobody/Anonymous

eh enlightment is what yellow dog has as a default, many it really has issues, but  i think there working the kinks out, i wound up loading kde desktop in stead llol...hmm i also had the option for gnome, but it seems  that YDL is still in the stone ages >< oh ew   erg ouch

• Mike Scott

Mike Scott - 2008-06-08

This is a long message.  I hope you will be patient with a newbie ranting and asking what probably are dumb questions.  I will start with the compliment, before I offer opinion.  Justin, your Ultumix 0.0.1.1 is by far, the best Linux distro that I have used.

I can troubleshoot Windows, but I don't yet know how to troubleshoot Linux.  I want to use Linux for my own email and web surfing while I learn how to really customize it.

I want to install Linux for several family members and clients, who are sick of viruses.  My struggle is that some of them use AOL for their email, do not want to change their provider, and the aol.com website does not display properly on the most recent version of Ultumix, nor the other distros I have tried.

I do not use AOL myself; I assume that their website code may not be compliant to standards, and may only be tested with Windows.  I understand that if a site does not display properly with Firefox on Linux, it is more likely to be the fault of the site that the fault of Firefox or Linux.  However... it is hard to evangelize my circle of friends and clients to Linux if a significant number of the most popular sites on the web will not display properly with it.  Telling them that it is the site's fault does not help, even when it's true.

I am not talking about media codec issues with listening to mp3 music, or watching dvd disks or YouTube videos; I am just talking about seeing the front page only of aol.com, without Firefox hanging up on a blank screen.  It seems more likely to be a problem with Java, JavaScript, Flash, Python, etc.  I do not know how to fix this type of issue - yet.  I have experienced this issue with several distros I have tried; it seems to be a problem common to Linux.  AOL.com is not the only site that has problems.

The ONLY distro I tried... that didn't have this problem... was Ultumix 0.0.1.1.  Awesome...my hat's off to you.

However, the underlying PCLinuxOS distro and its kernel are now more than a year old, and I got the impression that attempting to upgrade packages in it could cause things to stop working, and new hardware keeps appearing all the time, so I can't use it forever.

I get the impression that the reason that 0.0.1.1 worked so much better for me than other distros, and better that any subsequent version of Ultumix I have tried, is because of the pre-installed and pre-configured setup for some of that "non-free" software that has not been included in subsequent versions because the copyright thugs jumped on you about it.
      It really seems stupid that they will give away their software for free to all comers who want to download it, but give you a hard time about putting it in your distro, set up right already.  I guess it's just all about control.

I would like to really understand how these things work, and how to fix them... not just to have some super guru fix it for me.

The trend with Ultumix and some other distros, like Ubuntu Ultimate Edition, seems to me - is to make an ever-larger package that contains just about everything that anyone could ever want, so hardly anyone ever has to install more software. 

However, the bigger and more bloated the initial software load, especially if there is no options to only install the packages needed for the job at hand... the more there is to go wrong and it makes it more difficult for me to understand how to maintain it.

I started out by saying I am a newbie.  When it comes to troubleshooting problems with audio and video codecs, Java/Javascript, Flash, Python, Perl and how they interact with each other on Linux and Firefox, I am a newbie.  However, I do have a box in my office running Arch Linux as a fileserver.  It has nothing on it but the most basic Arch packages, Samba, and Webmin.  It holds 500GB of data and serves it up at 1000 megabits per second.  I have not had to touch it in 6 months.  It just works.

Arch has made the command line understandable for me with their minimalist approach.  On my server, I know and understand what is in each and every directory, and what it does.  I still do not really know how to do much with a command line on Ubuntu, Ultumix, or most other distros... the sheer amount of software feels overwhelming.

At one time I spent hours, just trying to "reverse engineer" what was the Firefox/Flash/Java/codec install and configuration in Ultumix 0.0.1.1 ... so that I could install a minimal Arch system, install a basic KDE or XFCE, Firefox package etc... and be able to surf with a system that I actually understand what it has and does.

What I am trying to describe that I want, is probably what some people call a "distro construction kit" -- that is, a head start to rolling your own.

You need donations, right?  I bet there are a LOT of people like me "out there" -- we have tried everything, even the so-called "most polished corporate commercial Linux versions" -- like Xandros Professional, at $100 a pop, and still getting what I call a "substandard browsing experience." 

I will not pay $100 for a distro that cannot surf the web any better than all of the free distros...  but I would pay a lot more than that... not just for a distro, but the knowledge to understand how it ticks.

You know how to make a distro work right -- the only decently working distro I have used was done by you.  Why do you feel that you have to use PCLinuxOS, or Mint, or Ubuntu, or "whoever" as a base?  It's bloat, on top of bloat, on top of bloat, on top of bloat... just what I hoped to AVOID by coming to Linux!

If I have an Arch system that takes 100mb of disk space, and a Mint system that takes 1000mb or more, and neither one can show even the front page of one of the most popular sites on the web, why would I use the latter as a base to build on???  At least the 100mb system has an excuse - it's too small to be really complete yet!

What about those who do not have broadband, to download these huge distros at 3000 kilobits/second???  Who cares for them???

Anyway, it seems to me that Arch and Debian are the two best bases to build upon; I didn't begin to feel like I could actually learn to understand the guts of Linux until I tried Arch.

Anyway, I would be happy to pay several hundred dollars for a distro that would surf like 0.0.1.1 did, and would allow me to just install what I need to use.

Just my $0.02.

Mike

• Justin Breithaupt

Well Mike. I put a lot of time and effort into answering your questions here so please read the whole thing and suffer as I did. lol.

"This is a long message. I hope you will be patient with a newbie ranting and asking what probably are dumb questions. I will start with the compliment, before I offer opinion. Justin, your Ultumix 0.0.1.1 is by far, the best Linux distro that I have used.

I can troubleshoot Windows, but I don't yet know how to troubleshoot Linux. I want to use Linux for my own email and web surfing while I learn how to really customize it."

If you really want to learn how to troubleshoot Linux you should check out the Ubuntu forums or talk more with us here. You can also call me on Skype. What can I say? It takes experience and time spent just poking around to figure it out. The start up screen and different things are hard to change. 

"I want to install Linux for several family members and clients, who are sick of viruses. My struggle is that some of them use AOL for their email, do not want to change their provider, and the aol.com website does not display properly on the most recent version of Ultumix, nor the other distros I have tried."

Hmmm. I'm going to www.aol.com right now. I've had several AOL.com customers use Ultumix with no complaints. Nope sorry everything shows up just fine in version 0.1.7.7.

"I do not use AOL myself; I assume that their website code may not be compliant to standards, and may only be tested with Windows. I understand that if a site does not display properly with Firefox on Linux, it is more likely to be the fault of the site that the fault of Firefox or Linux. However... it is hard to evangelize my circle of friends and clients to Linux if a significant number of the most popular sites on the web will not display properly with it. Telling them that it is the site's fault does not help, even when it's true."

Either AOL.com changed their site or the new Flash from Adobe is working better. More and more sites are making their sites more GNU/Linux friendly (with the exception of Microsoft) and no they do listen. FOX News.com made their site not play videos if you had Linux and guess what? They fixed it right away. It all depends on who you are talking to.

"I am not talking about media codec issues with listening to mp3 music, or watching dvd disks or YouTube videos; I am just talking about seeing the front page only of aol.com, without Firefox hanging up on a blank screen. It seems more likely to be a problem with Java, JavaScript, Flash, Python, etc. I do not know how to fix this type of issue - yet. I have experienced this issue with several distros I have tried; it seems to be a problem common to Linux. AOL.com is not the only site that has problems."

Your right on the money. It's a Flash problem. Most sites require Flash any more.

"The ONLY distro I tried... that didn't have this problem... was Ultumix 0.0.1.1. Awesome...my hat's off to you."

"However, the underlying PCLinuxOS distro and its kernel are now more than a year old, and I got the impression that attempting to upgrade packages in it could cause things to stop working, and new hardware keeps appearing all the time, so I can't use it forever."

YES PLEASE STOP USING IT AND GET THE NEW 0.1.7.7 VERSION!

"I get the impression that the reason that 0.0.1.1 worked so much better for me than other distros, and better that any subsequent version of Ultumix I have tried, is because of the pre-installed and pre-configured setup for some of that "non-free" software that has not been included in subsequent versions because the copyright thugs jumped on you about it.
        It really seems stupid that they will give away their software for free to all comers who want to download it, but give you a hard time about putting it in your distro, set up right already. I guess it's just all about control."

I figured out a legal loop hole to get around all of this. I thought: thoughts[what if I had a wizard that came up and automatically asked the user to install all of the codecs him or herself? what if I made the user responsible] And then I saw that Ubuntu 8.04 had already done this and that I could also write meta packages that included the non-free software as an add on! YAY :) So the person installs my distro, tries to open an .mp3 (for example) and does not have the codec installed. The system asks the user to please install it. They either say yes or no. Then when they try to play the file again it plays! :) Also in the Mac4Lin interface or Gnome as we like to call it will install your printer for you :) Very cool ! It will also install your video card for you :)

"I would like to really understand how these things work, and how to fix them... not just to have some super guru fix it for me."

Great! You want to talk some time? I live in the Pacific Standard time zone and you can call me when I'm awake and at my computer at: (865) 329-7705 Mon - Sat

"The trend with Ultumix and some other distros, like Ubuntu Ultimate Edition, seems to me - is to make an ever-larger package that contains just about everything that anyone could ever want, so hardly anyone ever has to install more software." 

You get it now buddy :) But not everyone likes this and thats why distros are competitive. This is a good thing. Some people only want minimal server installs while others want everything like me :)

"However, the bigger and more bloated the initial software load, especially if there is no options to only install the packages needed for the job at hand... the more there is to go wrong and it makes it more difficult for me to understand how to maintain it."

Which is why I divided them into Standard Edition, Gamer Edition, and Ultimate Edition. :)

"I started out by saying I am a newbie. When it comes to troubleshooting problems with audio and video codecs, Java/Javascript, Flash, Python, Perl and how they interact with each other on Linux and Firefox, I am a newbie. However, I do have a box in my office running Arch Linux as a fileserver. It has nothing on it but the most basic Arch packages, Samba, and Webmin. It holds 500GB of data and serves it up at 1000 megabits per second. I have not had to touch it in 6 months. It just works."

Great! Could you please tell me how to do that with my computer? I have it DMZed out to the outside and I can't seem to set up a server the way I want it.

"Arch has made the command line understandable for me with their minimalist approach. On my server, I know and understand what is in each and every directory, and what it does. I still do not really know how to do much with a command line on Ubuntu, Ultumix, or most other distros... the sheer amount of software feels overwhelming."

Yes I know. I've tried to explain to people that I know very little about every type of software package but more about what Windows users come to expect from a computer system. I've told my unkle that he knows more about OpenOffice.org and the Gimp than I will ever know.

"At one time I spent hours, just trying to "reverse engineer" what was the Firefox/Flash/Java/codec install and configuration in Ultumix 0.0.1.1 ... so that I could install a minimal Arch system, install a basic KDE or XFCE, Firefox package etc... and be able to surf with a system that I actually understand what it has and does."

Well everything is pretty much automatic in 0.1.7.7 but the basic elements are still there. For instance if you need more control over your printing (which I highly doubt) you can go to http://localhost:631 to manage your printers. This is a common thread that all GNU/Linux distros have that I've come in contact with. The main difference between 0.0.1.1 and 0.1.7.7 is that they are based on two completely different systems. One is Debian based and one is Mandriva / Mandrake based. RPM vs DEB. The commands are different to install things. Of course it's way easier to do it graphically in 0.1.7.7 now but it helps to remember the good old days. If you really want to learn GNU/Linux start out with just plain Debian (if you want to learn Ubuntu or the new Ultumix) or how about Fedora Core (If you want to learn Red Hat, PCLinuxOS, ect). My college forced me to do Fedora Core inside and out and it drove me crazy at times but I remember a lot of useful things.

"What I am trying to describe that I want, is probably what some people call a "distro construction kit" -- that is, a head start to rolling your own."

you need to look up info on remastersys, usplash, grub, bootsplash, the interface of your choice, and figure out what you want the system to do.

"You need donations, right? I bet there are a LOT of people like me "out there" -- we have tried everything, even the so-called "most polished corporate commercial Linux versions" -- like Xandros Professional, at $100 a pop, and still getting what I call a "substandard browsing experience." 

I will not pay $100 for a distro that cannot surf the web any better than all of the free distros... but I would pay a lot more than that... not just for a distro, but the knowledge to understand how it ticks."

I agree. Companies like Ubuntu make tons of money each year by offering support and charging for it on the phone. I don't personally fell qualified enough to do that but if someone told me that they wanted something built a certain way I could either just do it (that would make me a lot more happy) or walk them threw it (Lots of pain and headache). If I make good money either way is good enough for me.

"You know how to make a distro work right -- the only decently working distro I have used was done by you. Why do you feel that you have to use PCLinuxOS, or Mint, or Ubuntu, or "whoever" as a base? It's bloat, on top of bloat, on top of bloat, on top of bloat... just what I hoped to AVOID by coming to Linux!"

Your right. I've been wanting to make my own GNU/Linux distribution from scratch for a long time. There is a project called Linux from scratch. The problem is when you start getting into this messy territory you are going to fall behind a long way and never get caught back up until you get the financial support you need. All of those pre compiled programs, kernels, scripts, ect. we take for granted in Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, and other distros take time to make. Because I'm the only one really working on this project it would take me forever to do this. My plan now is not to try to reinvent the wheel but to get something out there that people will use and generate enough money to get the ball rolling so to speak so that the distro will support itself and then my friend I can hire my good friend who is an X-Micro$oft employee who got me started with GNU/Linux in the first place but he is not cheap either, however he is worth more than he could ask for because of how intelligent he is. He built DOS - Windows NT 2000 98 ect. for Micro$oft. He only retired when he heard of what their evil plans were.

"If I have an Arch system that takes 100mb of disk space, and a Mint system that takes 1000mb or more, and neither one can show even the front page of one of the most popular sites on the web, why would I use the latter as a base to build on??? At least the 100mb system has an excuse - it's too small to be really complete yet!"

The thing is no one can compete with Ubuntu. That's the sad truth. The reason is because they have companies like Dell supporting their development at a rate that is so fast that they crush all who appose them despite their strange Gnome interface that they use. Not that I don't like the Gnome interface.

"What about those who do not have broadband, to download these huge distros at 3000 kilobits/second??? Who cares for them???"

That is what the torrents are for and I can ship them DVDs.

"Anyway, it seems to me that Arch and Debian are the two best bases to build upon; I didn't begin to feel like I could actually learn to understand the guts of Linux until I tried Arch."

We all have that one GNU/Linux distro that we loved. For me it was Fedora Core even though it has so many faults. Then there was PCLinuxOS and it was the best thing in the world. And of course there was the Evil Linspire that was so great. 

"Anyway, I would be happy to pay several hundred dollars for a distro that would surf like 0.0.1.1 did, and would allow me to just install what I need to use."

Ultumix 0.1.7.7 is bare bones on the 32 bit but does exactly what you say. It's much smaller than previous versions at only 1.6 GBs. So why all that extra space? What does it do? Well for one thing there are many different extensions and plugins that people take for granted and don't even know they need do fulfill their needs. It's disgusting but those pluggins and packages really add up fast. You install one package that requires 10 and 3 of those require 20 more and so on and so forth. It's just hard. I'll put it this way. You try it some time and see if you get what I have produced with less bloat. lol. :)

"Just my $0.02.

Mike"

• Mike Scott

Mike Scott - 2008-06-09

Hey Justin... wow.  I didn't expect you to take so much time answering my questions and I hope you didn't suffer too bad... :)

Anyway, I am now downloading the 0.1.7.7 as I write this; it will probably be the middle of tonight before I have it all, so this message is just to thank you for the long response.  I will see how it goes with the new download; I am sure that both the websites and Flash are changing frequently.  My comments referred to 0.0.1.5, of course.

The setup on the Arch server I mentioned, was so much trial and error; I can't just point you to a single web page with the whole procedure I followed and "poof! it worked."  It is not a web server, it is only a file server set up for serving files to windows pc's.  I consulted a bunch of sites and kind of combined their methods like a crazy-quilt.  After spending a lot of time trying to configure things by hand using the command line, I found that webmin would do most of it for me.

I had looked into using a ready-made package that was designed to be a simple server for home or small-business, like "OpenNAS" or "OpenFiler" or the one I forgot the name of that was based on FreeBSD; ultimately each one had something I didn't like about it and I wanted the understanding and control that comes with using a general-purpose Linux distro.

The Arch philosophy is to use the software as it comes from the upstream source, rather than create distro-specific patches... so the original author's documentation for Webmin or Samba should apply without any changes.

Now... 80% of everything I did came from this following page.  It may not tell you how to solve every glitch, but it will just about get you there.
          http://www.webmin.com/samba-howto.html

Getting the base started is easy...

Install the latest arch distro and get basic internet working... not KDE/GNOME, not Firefox, just internet... as in "ping www.yahoo.com" gets a reply.  This is not hard, even for newbies -- unless you convince yourself that a text-mode install with a few command line instructions is a big hairy monster that will eat you.

I formatted a basic OS partition ext3, about 10gb out of 500 on disk, and the rest XFS.  I spent hour after hour researching the best _journaling_ filesystem to use for the data partition; for read performance, write performance, large files, directories with a million small files, for crash recovery, CPU utilization, et cetera... hours and hours and hours.  XFS looked best overall, with JFS a very close second, virtually a tie.  Ext3 is SLOW... maybe ok for the OS but that's it.

I told the install routine to mount that 490gb XFS partition read-write on "/srv."

Get the packages with all dependencies...

pacman -S samba
          pacman -S webmin

Set up these items to start at OS startup, like this:

The last few lines of my /etc/rc.conf...
          (only samba and webmin were added by me)
          -------------------
          #
          # -----------------------------------------------------------------------
          # DAEMONS
          # -----------------------------------------------------------------------
          #
          # Daemons to start at boot-up (in this order)
          #   - prefix a daemon with a ! to disable it
          #   - prefix a daemon with a @ to start it up in the background
          #
          DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network netfs crond samba webmin)

# End of file

-----------------------------------

Reboot the box.  You do not need to log into the box on its keyboard; let it sit at a text login prompt.

Use another box with a browser to open port 10000; as webmin has a built-in web server on that port: (replace the IP with yours)

http://192.168.0.252:10000/

Log into webmin with "root" and the root password you set when you installed the Linux.

From here, every task you could want to do to administrate the system is possible.

Now... I spent several dozen hours pulling out my hair dealing with the fact that there are two separate layers of "security" - Linux file system permissions, and Samba share permissions.  I had a little bit of simplifying grace because it is just my internal network with my wife's userid and mine, and I wanted both userid's to have full control over all files and folders from the root up. 

I do not right now have time to tell you each and every little thing to do from here, and some things will take fiddling because they may not work exactly as you expect...

It is worth noting that there are TWO completely separate interfaces here for specifying the parameters for Samba to share files... first go to "Servers", then to "SAMBA Windows file sharing."  You will see a lot of icons on the right side.  One of them is labeled "SWAT," which stands for "Samba web administration tool."  This one was created by the original authors of Samba, and purports to be a complete interface for administrating Samba.  It is included here as just one of the icons; all of the other icons there were created by the Webmin people, and much of the functionality provided by all of those other icons, duplicates similar functionality that is inside the SWAT icon.  You can play with all of them and see which ones you like best for your needs... just know that if you try to use both sets of administration tools, each one could overwrite or corrupt settings made by the other one... so use SWAT, or use all the others.  The others probably have more functionality, I think... but it has been so long since I have even touched it, I've just about forgotten how to work on it.

Samba can be set up so that many different user names connect from the network into Samba to read/write files, yet whenever Samba passes a read/write request to Linux, it does so only giving one name, like "samba"... or you can set up the userid and password lists twice -- once in Linux and once in Samba, and have more detailed access control.

I have a glitch or two that I haven't taken the time to sort out... such as one of my user names can create folders in the root directory of the share (not the root of the whole box, just the root of the share directory)... but cannot then change that same folder.  It's just due to the difference of how the Linux filesystem permissions get translated to Windows file permissions; I know it can't be that hard to fix but I just have not bothered.

That's just about all of it; there are a lot of parameters in there that probably do not need to be modified from their defaults unless your needs are unusual.

Windows, as you know, does not always play nice.  The server in question may not be visible by just telling a Windows box to "view all workgroup computers."  You may also know, that a box running XP Home attempts to log into network shared printers and folders with user name  "guest" and a blank password - rather than the userid and password that was used to log into them.  XP Pro boxes will also behave this way if the parameter "simple file sharing" is checked under Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View.

I do not usually try to use the standard GUI of Windows to seek out and attach to my server.  Instead I put a batch file "hookup.bat" in "All Users/StartMenu/Startup" which has

net use \\192.168.0.252\data password /user:username /persistent:no

This is the same thing I do when a customer has bought a box from a retailer containing XP Home, and it will not hook up to the shares in their domain fileserver.

Hope that helps... I suffered a lot writing it ;-)

I put your phone number in my cell phone; it may be a few days before I can give you a call; about the only time that it's good to talk is when I'm on the road, if the customers are not driving me crazy...

My phone is (813) 610-6362; if you have something burning in your mind you are welcome to call; if I can talk I will.  My days usually consist of one thing or another: boredom or sheer terror...

Mike

• Justin Breithaupt

I'm sorry to say that getting SAMBA working in Ultumix 0.1.7.7 is much easier than all of that. :) There is a wizard that does it for you. I have sat up several printer servers so that customers could share their printers with Windows machines as well as GNU/Linux.

No FTP and HTTP servers are what I'm trying to set up. I also need a mail server.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hey if you or anyone else wants to help support this project by clicking this link I'd appreciate it.

Click Here http://sourceforge.net/awards/cca/?group_id=200997

• Nobody/Anonymous

"I want to install Linux for several family members and clients, who are sick of viruses. My struggle is that some of them use AOL for their email, do not want to change their provider, and the aol.com website does not display properly on the most recent version of Ultumix, nor the other distros I have tried."
        Have you tried accessing them by installing Internet Explorer 6 with wine (or wine-doors)?  I don't use aol either.  Have you tried Firefox 3 beta instead of Firefox 2?

"AOL.com is not the only site that has problems."
        I've run into very few sites that don't work with firefox, but I never tried aol.

"The ONLY distro I tried... that didn't have this problem... was Ultumix 0.0.1.1. Awesome...my hat's off to you."
        This is the truth, so it will probably be deleted.  If it does, I'll just message it to you directly.  It was basically pclinuxos with a theme change, maybe a setting or two changed in openoffice, and a few apps added (much like the current ultumix).  None of the underlying system was changed, no scriptwork or changes in hardware detection or anything, although I hear some scripts were added in the latest release for software installation.  See this link for information on a version about that age.  http://opensourcelearning.info/blog/?p=720  The thanks should go to Tex and the gang for their many, many hours/days/months of dedicated mostly volunteer work, not to the person that slapped a new label on a pre-existing unchanged "product".

"However, the underlying PCLinuxOS distro and its kernel are now more than a year old, and I got the impression that attempting to upgrade packages in it could cause things to stop working, and new hardware keeps appearing all the time, so I can't use it forever."
        Actually, why can't you use it for a long time?  If you do updates, you get newer kernels/hardware detection/apps/etc.  Some systems occasionally don't update well, then the guys work to fix it as quickly as possible.

"However, the bigger and more bloated the initial software load, especially if there is no options to only install the packages needed for the job at hand... the more there is to go wrong and it makes it more difficult for me to understand how to maintain it."

Why not try PCLINUXOS mini-me?  It is an updated, bare installation, with only kde and a basic set of apps, you install your own, what you want.  Or maybe tiny-me.  It is designed for older hardware, does not use kde, but you can if you want.  Both are smaller downloads.  An updated full PCLINUXOS 2008 is coming "sometime".  Maybe try Mandriva Free (NOT One).  It is an install only, not live disc (either one DVD or 3 cd download).  But you can do a custom install, and select only what you want to install for packages/desktop environments one by one, etc.

"the sheer amount of software feels overwhelming."
        Perhaps a slackware based distro, or puppy..., just to play with.

"that is, a head start to rolling your own"
        Having no need to do that myself, maybe Linux from scratch, Gentoo, etc.  Their sites would be packed with a lot of documentation.  Plain pure debian is very good/very customizable.

"What about those who do not have broadband, to download these huge distros at 3000 kilobits/second??? Who cares for them???"
        Not many people.  I was stuck with that, most of my neighbors still are, but I went to satellite at $50 US per month, limited downloads per month, traffic shaping and high pings, 512Kbps down, 128 up, but it's better than dialup.  Something small like Puppy, which has excellent support for dialup, decent amount of tools for someone.  Otherwise, I always spent like $5 and had linux cds or DVDs shipped in, that's all they cost from sites on Distrowatch.  Order a few different ones to get free shipping, from the main place I used.  Forget downloading many updates though.

"Anyway, it seems to me that Arch and Debian are the two best bases to build upon; I didn't begin to feel like I could actually learn to understand the guts of Linux until I tried Arch."
        I'll agree there, Mandriva too.  I've heard Arch is awesome.  Have you tried Dreamlinux?  That's next on my list.  A newer version is coming out, I don't care for Gnome/XFCE/Apple interface, but a person could install KDE.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I'm curious whoever you are (probably a PCLinuxOS Forum Moderator) why do you use a reference that is based on complete bias and statements that are not known to be fact such as racial remarks? Why not stick to the facts and just spell it all out here?

How come you forgot to post that PCLinuxOS is also just a Remaster of Mandrake and has had a few scripts added? I'm confused. Also installing PCLinuxOS is a pain because the kernel is so out of date at the time of install that getting it to work on your new hardware is like bending down and sacrificing your first born child and hoping. Why didn't Tex and PCLinuxOS give any credit to Mandrake the same way that you say Ultumix should give credit to PCLinuxOS?

Also Tex has no problem with Ultumix. It's only the forum moderators. So what is the big deal? Trying to start something again?

Burry the hatchet or in this case please follow the instructions below:

1. Detach your keyboard from your computer,
          2. Digg a big hole.
          3. Burn your keyboard.
          4. Throw the ashes from the keyboard into the hole.
          5. Burry the keyboard.
          6. Don't buy another one. Please oh pretty please. Just make it stop.

• Nobody/Anonymous

"I'm curious whoever you are (probably a PCLinuxOS Forum Moderator)"
            No, I am not affiliated with any distro, that's THE TRUTH.  I am not Newmikey, or Jan, or Clem, or the Easter bunny or who/whatever other conclusion you might jump to.  No one said that distro was perfect, no distro is, use whatever works.  I don't use it anymore either.  Notice I mentioned others..., one question, why do you always have to immediately jump to a conclusion?  Seriously.

"why do you use a reference that is based on complete bias and statements that are not known to be fact such as racial remarks? Why not stick to the facts and just spell it all out here?"
            The article gives a truthful run through of your distro at the time, what does the author, or I have to do with the comments?  Besides, people can't form their own independent conclusions on the situation based on direct observation of actual events??  Would you care to point to another reference/review on the distro you had at the time?  I'd use that instead if it would make you happy, I seriously would. Perhaps if you had a changelog like other distros, or something similar?  Or perhaps point out what was wrong with the assessment made??

"How come you forgot to post that PCLinuxOS is also just a Remaster of Mandrake and has had a few scripts added?"
            Yes, so?  They have a team of developers that work whenever possible for little/no pay, do you think they don't do anything in that time??  Have you used both extensively?  I have.  They are far from the same distro.  Many packages have been recompiled, plus their own repository, bugs have been fixed, they go through the code themselves, provide their own support, and many tools/fixes from other distros have been inclued.  Please reference here, and scroll to the "other information" section.  http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=70

"I'm confused."
            Yes?

"Also installing PCLinuxOS is a pain because the kernel is so out of date at the time of install that getting it to work on your new hardware is like bending down and sacrificing your first born child and hoping. Why didn't Tex and PCLinuxOS give any credit to Mandrake the same way that you say Ultumix should give credit to PCLinuxOS?"
            Uh, they did give credit, see link above.  And yes they did most of the work with that distro, so why didn't they deserve credit instead of you (ok, so partially you, happy?)?  As to being out of date, well, a new version is coming, and if a person has a problem with it, try one of the other updated versions I mentioned, the community Gnome edition, or another distro.  Simple solution.

"Also Tex has no problem with Ultumix. It's only the forum moderators. So what is the big deal?"
            Who's the one making a big deal out of what?

"Trying to start something again?"
            Please count backwards from 10, well maybe 100, and take a deep breath.

"Burry the hatchet or in this case please follow the instructions below:

1. Detach your keyboard from your computer,
            2. Digg a big hole.
            3. Burn your keyboard.
            4. Throw the ashes from the keyboard into the hole.
            5. Burry the keyboard.
            6. Don't buy another one. Please oh pretty please. Just make it stop."

I attempt to have a conversation with someone on your forum, and you jump down my throat.  Would you care to point out what I did wrong?  Seriously, I'd like to know.  I'm not entitled to my own opinion, or to reference something readily available on the internet that comes up on the first page of a google search for Ultumix, which is based on fact/the reviewers actual experience, or share my own personal experience??  You don't want anyone on here besides yourself offering advice/suggestions to others???  You don't want any criticism or advice?  How are you going to improve on your project if you don't listen/take advice/at least control your emotions.  Is there anyone else on this forum, opinions??  Please???

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks