Menu

Boot-time Defrag ; Windows 10 Can No Longer Boot

Help
Jamil
2019-07-10
2019-07-10
  • Jamil

Jamil - 2019-07-10

With UltraDefrag 8, I would sporadically encounter boot failures after defrag execution. This happened with both boot-time defrag and also a GUI defrag while Windows was still running. I would see a boot failure after the defrag fully completed then I rebooted the computer. It was very sporadic, so I never bothered to report this issue. I am very good at keeping recent full system clone backups of my workstation, so I did not really lose anything after a full restore.

Yesterday after installing 8.0.1, I executed a boot-time defrag. When it completed, I saw the Windows 10 logon screen. After a Windows update, I had to reboot. While rebooting, I saw Windows 10 automated system repair running. I believe this was related to the boot-time defrag that I had executed. This time the automated repair was able to resolve the boot issue. In the past, the repair would fail and I was forced to restore (not knowing how to resolve the boot issue any other way).

I am thinking that perhaps something is being relocated in the filesystem that perhaps should not be that may be causing the boot issue. Also note that I have continued to execute UltraDefrag within my VMWare virtual machines to never encounter any Windows 10 boot issues ever. I did temporarily stop executing defrags on my main workstation after about the third or forth Windows 10 boot issue right after a defrag.

My boot script is similar to my non-boot defrag execution in options. It looks as the text file attached: ud-boot-time.cmd.txt

In the UI, I set all options in a similar manner with:

Action|Deep action (SHIFT+D)
    Settings|By last access time|In descending order

I set the following in options.lua:

fragment_size_threshold = "0"
    file_size_threshold = ""
    optimizer_file_size_threshold = "20 MB"
    fragments_threshold = 0
    fragmentation_threshold = 0

• Jamil

Jamil - 2019-07-10

By the way, this is Windows 10 Profession version 1903. I run hardware RAID10, and the RAID controller hides RAID from the operating system. There are no specific drivers that I must install, because they are bundled with Windows. This is a 1GB caching RAID controller. I run UEFI, and I always defrag my C: partition only. My C: currently has 1.46TB used with 3.49TB free.

When I wrote about VMWare, this is VMWare Workstation only I have installed. I also run a few operating systems as VMs and use UltraDefrag under these VMs.

Last edit: Jamil 2019-07-10