strange behaviour usb keyboards

Help
dezdav
2015-04-23
2015-04-25
  • dezdav

dezdav - 2015-04-23

Hi,

After installing ultradefrag (v 6.1.) my usb keyboard quits after one keystroke after OS is loaded (XP). Same behaviour for second usb keyboard. Integrated trackball works, suppose it's registered as a seperate device. I can boot into safe mode, everything works.
    Deleted non present devices in device manager as advised in old posts, uninstalled ultradefrag with revo uninstaller, but problem persists.

Any help appreciated.

• Stefan Pendl

Stefan Pendl - 2015-04-23

Ultradefrag is not changing a thing on your system regarding any devices.

Check what else you have changed, since it doesn't work with Ultradefrag removed too.

Stefan

• Dmitri Arkhangelski

UltraDefrag shouldn't affect USB keyboards. It just opens devices at boot and then closes them all letting Windows do whatever it wants afterwards. So, if Windows fails to tackle those devices after boot, it's something wrong with Windows, not with UltraDefrag, I think.

BTW, sometimes Windows drops down to a blue screen (BSOD) when my external USB HDD is plugged in when I turn the computer on. So I have to physically disconnect it when I need to reboot Windows. That's another example of Windows reliability ;-)

Maybe in future we'll find a way to add more options for USB keyboards handling, but now we definitely have not enough time for it.

Last edit: Dmitri Arkhangelski 2015-04-24
  • dezdav

dezdav - 2015-04-25

Well, it seems somewhere between opening and closing the devices Ultradefrag and Windows trip over each other. If you want to blame the OS for that, so be it. From my point of view it's Ultradefrag that f*cked up my system.
    I'm not asking you to add more options for handling USB Keyboards, but it would be nice to get some help with troubleshooting and getting my system back to normal (at present i can only use it in safe mode).

Last edit: dezdav 2015-04-25
  • Dmitri Arkhangelski

Well, try to delete all the keyboards in device manager, then plug 'em in back and let Windows recognize and configure all those devices from scratch.

Maybe I'm wrong and Windows works perfectly for you, but I still cannot admit that UltraDefrag can harm the computer. It does absolutely nothing harmful.