Menu

Whats the difference between the defrag & optimization tasks? Consolidation of free space?

Help
Thomas
2015-07-23
2015-07-28
  • Thomas

Thomas - 2015-07-23

What are the differences between the defragmentation & optimization entries in menu "Action" (Defragmantation, Quick optimization or Full optimization)?

I have the problem that I have almost defragmented my hard disk partition for all smaller files.

However there are 43 big (> 1 GB) files which are still defragmented.
    I guess UltraDefrag does not find any contigous free space where these big files fits completely in.

So what I need is a defragmentation style which shifts already defragmented files if necessary and consolidates the free space so that big chunks of free space are available for later defragmentation of big files.

How can I achieve this?

Thank you

• Dmitri Arkhangelski

To consolidate free space you could try the full optimization. However, I'd recommend to use an additional disk for more efficient operation:

1. copy all files to another disk (borrow one or use Google Drive or something)
    2. optionally reformat the original disk
    3. move all files back to the original disk

This way you'll get everything defragmented, sorted out perfectly and free space consolidated as well.

Last edit: Dmitri Arkhangelski 2015-07-23
  • Thomas

Thomas - 2015-07-28

I cannot believe that this is the only method.

Is there really no "defrag free space" operation?

• Dmitri Arkhangelski

At the moment the program has no special "defrag free space" operation. If the use of an additional disk sounds weird consider to use disk partitioning software instead, like GpartEd or EaseUS Partition Master:

1. shrink the partition to move everything to the beginning of the disk
    2. expand the partition to its original size

BTW, why not move big files to another disk, then perform full optimization of the original disk by UltraDefrag and then move those files back? I have used it and it worked well.