Support for Windows 8

daniel337
2013-03-02
2013-04-01
  • daniel337

daniel337 - 2013-03-02

Hi there,

now that version 6.0 has been released I wonder when also Windows 8 will be officially supported.
    Would be a great thing!

Daniel

• Laurence

Laurence - 2013-03-03

I agree. Soon I hope.

regards,
    Laurence

Last edit: Laurence 2013-03-03
  • Stefan Pendl

Stefan Pendl - 2013-03-03

Windows 8 has the lowest priority, since I am not able to get a clean Win8 system.

I was able to install the consumer preview, but installing the OEM version or enterprise evaluation release failed on the same system.

I have to pay for a Windows 8 release, but we don't get paid for UltraDefrag.

Microsoft gets money for something that doesn't work on a 4 year old system, whereas our software works on ancient systems.

I have been installing Windows systems since the age of ten and am working in the IT for a living, but Win8 seems to be like Vista, which I skipped all together.

Users have reported that it works for them using the GUI and console interfaces, some reported problems with the boot time interface, but only after installing a recent Windows update, which is reported to give trouble in any case, despite of using the boot time interface or not, so it doesn't seem to be related to our software.

I will start testing Win8 when I have a stable Win8 system up and running, but I will take my time to make sure there is no trouble.

I will even reinstall my whole system if this seems to be the only way to get Win8 running as a virtual machine, but I will do this as a last resort.

Thanks for understanding.

Stefan

• Laurence

Laurence - 2013-03-04

Hi Stefan,

I understand. Still, I for one am looking forward to the UltraDefrag release which fully supports Windows 8. And most definitely, take your time to be sure that all works as it ought.

Also thanks are in order for releasing the best yet UltraDefrag. In many ways, certainly new and improved! Thank you good sir.

regards,
    Laurence

• Stefan Pendl

Stefan Pendl - 2013-03-04

Hi Laurence,

sorry for the rant in my previous post, but I was quite frustrated, that Win8 isn't coming along nicely on my system.

I will try to get a stable test system for Win8 as soon as possible for sure, since I don't like to let my customers hang in mid air.

Stefan

• Ruler

Ruler - 2013-03-04

Not to put too fine a point on it Stefan, but you're far from the first person to be frustrated with and rant about windoze 8. Pretty much everyone I've talked to who's gotten it on a system hates it. There are even companies offering to downgrade machines that come with 8 to 7 for only $125, which I find more than a little amusing... http://tinyurl.com/b4jlbav

I for one love the fact that you support older OSs. My parents run 2000 on their machine and if they were forced to upgrade, I'd spend the rest of my life trying to answer questions for them and they'd feed stupid because they wouldn't be able to do anything. I've been working with computers, both using and coding, for over 20 years and even I think that windoze 8 is a steaming pile when it comes to GUI design - just hard to work with IMO.

• Stefan Pendl

Stefan Pendl - 2013-03-05

There are even companies offering to downgrade machines that come with 8 to 7 for only $125, which I find more than a little amusing...

I saw that image posted on Facebook the other day and was amused too.

I for one love the fact that you support older OSs. My parents run 2000 on their machine and if they were forced to upgrade, I'd spend the rest of my life trying to answer questions for them and they'd feed stupid because they wouldn't be able to do anything.

We will see how long we can keep supporting older releases below XP, since some of the feature requests, that even make sense, are nearly impossible to implement using plain C API.

Thanks for your support guys ;-)

Stefan

• Stefan Pendl

Stefan Pendl - 2013-03-09

I have reinstalled my system today, but that didn't help.

I can't even get Win8 to install as a VM >:-(

Stefan

• Stefan Pendl

Stefan Pendl - 2013-03-16

It seems that I have now succeeded to get a working Win8 VM up and running.

I will start testing Win8 now if this VM continuous to work properly.

Stefan

• Stefan Pendl

Stefan Pendl - 2013-03-19

After being able to utilize the Win8 VM for some tests it started to hang again on boot, without UltraDefrag being run at all.

Seems that Win8 will not make it into the list of supported Windows releases until Microsoft will release the first service pack.

I am hoping to get something stable, but I really doubt this.

Stefan

• Stefan Pendl

Stefan Pendl - 2013-03-26

After quite some trouble to get Win8 up and running, I have now a system that starts at least after the 10th reset.

I have been able to run my test suite and found just some more restrictions that Win8 seems to put on us.

The result is not that same for my testing volumes as it is for previous Windows versions, but it is at least acceptable, since there are no problems on the side of our software.

This is where I will officially remove the notice of Win8 being not tested from the installer.

Any other incompatibilities put on us by Win8 will be taken care of in the future if that is even possible or permitted by Win8.

Stefan

• UhClem

UhClem - 2013-04-01

Ruler made a comment about supporting older systems. Last Fall, Dell Computer's hometown had 4,000 new PCs ready for their library systems but after 3 weeks of training for city and library officials, they went back to Dell and said, "NO WAY - must have Win7 or XP and Classic because no one has time to retrain the tens of thousands of library-computer users." No steenkin' confusion about Start Screen, Apps Stores and Desktop Programs wanted. And to think - it only looks like the blue canyon is widening and deepening.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks