Menu

What's happened to Famine

Help
Ian Stroud
2010-09-25
2021-01-04
  • Ian Stroud

Ian Stroud - 2010-09-25

I have recently downloaded the latest version of Hexen 2 from this site as my original copy of this game would run openGL on my XP machine. The game now runs again but when I get to Famine's lair at the end of the Black Marsh level he doesn't appear. Has anyone else come across this? Are there any fixes or work arounds I can use?

thanks

• Ozkan Sezer

Ozkan Sezer - 2010-09-25

Can't reproduce this using the latest on win64 (hexen2-1.4.4-pre10a-win64.zip)
    Do you see any informative error messages on the game console?

• Ian Stroud

Ian Stroud - 2010-09-25

I'm using the win32 version. I got a screen shot of the console just after entering Famine's lair, I think there may be a clue there if I could find a way to upload it to you.

It says:

No spawn function for:

Edict 56:
    Origin             '1160.0 152.0 40.0'
    Angles           '  0.0 180.0   0.0'
    Classname  Rider_Famine
    Target            Riderfam
    Map                Meso2

Version 1.22 Server (35263 CRC)

If it helps, I do have Visual Studio 2008 on this machine so if I get the sources I should be able to debug things if I'm pointed in the right direction.

• Ozkan Sezer

Ozkan Sezer - 2010-09-25

It feels like the game is picking the wrong progs.dat ???
    Just send the screenshot to my personal email.  It may also help if you :
    - send me the save just before you enter the boss level,  and
    - run the game using the -devlog command line switch and send me the
    generated debug_h2.log file after you exit
    - tell me if you are using the version 1.11 version of the registered game
    - tell me if you are using our binaries, or did you compile by yourself, and
    if you did, did you make any changes

Thanks

• Ozkan Sezer

Ozkan Sezer - 2010-09-25

> Map                Meso2

???

>
    > Version 1.22 Server (35263 CRC)

It really is picking the wrong progs.dat: it should have picked
    progs2.dat and it should have said VERSION 1.22 SERVER (13089 CRC)
    I am really curious as to how that happened…

• Ian Stroud

Ian Stroud - 2010-09-25

Some answers:
    The installation of Hexen II has been on my system for many years. I believe I did patch it but that would have been some time ago.
    I ran the h2patch application and that told me I was already at 1.11
    I'm using your binaries, I've not downloaded any source code.
    I've got the debug_h2.log file. I've got the screen shot but I can't send them as I don't know your personal email.
    It sounds like some of the files have got corrupted. I'm going to Nuke the game and reinstall / patch everything and try again.
    I'll let you know if that works.

• Ozkan Sezer

Ozkan Sezer - 2010-09-25

My email is sezero  (at)  users.sourceforge.net

It is possible that some files are corrupted, however the pak files should be intact because the h2patch application does a md5 checksum on them. Maybe the progs2.dat is corrupted?? Lets see the log file first.

• Ian Stroud

Ian Stroud - 2010-09-25

Ok, I've reinstalled everything. I then took the saved game from the old installation and now famine appears as expected. Ok he promptly killed me but that's beside the point.

I've run WinDiff on the new and old installation files and other than the data1\config.cfg file everything seems the same. However in the old (broken) installation there are a lot of files in the glhexen folder with a .ms2 extension that aren't present in the new working holder. Could these be from someone else's attempt to patch hexen 2 for XP / opengl?

• Ozkan Sezer

Ozkan Sezer - 2010-09-25

The *.ms2 files are model mesh cache files and are irrelevant,
    uhexen2 doesn't use them anymore. Glad to hear that it works
    now, however I'd be happier if I knew the reason for the failure ;)
    Probably a corrupted file somewhere, hrmph…

• Ian Stroud

Ian Stroud - 2010-09-25

Following sezero's suggestion I found a file, maplist.txt in the data1\folder that was not in the new installation. Looks like this file was corrupt, when I deleted it the problem went away.

• Jeff H.

Jeff H. - 2014-03-05

I'm on HoT 1.5.6 win32 and I just ran into this exact problem. No spawn function. Is there a fix? I don't see a maplist.txt file anywhere.

• Ozkan Sezer

Ozkan Sezer - 2014-03-05

maplist.txt should be in data1\pak0.pak. I think you installed HoT badly: did you copy and overwrite everything from the HoT package? do you have a progs2.dat under data1?

• Jeff H.

Jeff H. - 2014-03-07

Hmm, I guess it was a bad install. I'd just been using HoT in its own folder and had copied over the pak files. Seemed to work. In other words, I did NOT use the official installers. If I do a proper installation with the installers and copy over the saved game, then Famine appears. Is HoT referencing any of the original files besides the pak files?

• Ozkan Sezer

Ozkan Sezer - 2014-03-07

Taking the HoT packages and putting in the required pak files in correct directories should have worked fine. HoT does not reference any of the original files besides the paks. Anyways, now that it works I guess it is solved.

• Eric Gonzales

Eric Gonzales - 2021-01-04

I'm having the exact same problem. No maplist.txt file to delete. Already reinstalled HoT and the entire game like 3 times, patch included. Progs2.dat is under data1. Everything seems fine, but Famine just refuses to appear.