Menu

Fake OGG CD tracks?

leileilol
2008-04-27
2013-04-07
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • leileilol

leileilol - 2008-04-27

It's not a 'eye candy' feature per se but on some systems, playing native CD audio is an impossibility in Hexen II. Around this would to be taking the Darkplaces approach to implement ogg vorbis playback and play back files like

sound/cdtracks/track004.ogg
    sound/cdtracks/track005.ogg
    etc.

Granted it won't be happening for the DOS build but it'd be cool to see this supported, and not really being 'depended' on, optional.

• Ozkan Sezer

Ozkan Sezer - 2008-04-27

> Granted it won't be happening for the DOS build but

It's not impossible for DOS to support ogg stuff, for the
      record..

> it'd be cool to see this supported, and not really being 'depended'
      > on, optional.

OK, I know, you people won't let me get more lazy ;)
      It's on the TODO list (see docs/TODO ), I hope it won't
      take too long.

• plusminus

plusminus - 2008-10-17

I just noticed the patch for this in the source package, works great!

I renamed my track## files to match the midi filenames, that way I can get the right tracks when using -portals. I didn't see a list of what tracks go with what filename anywhere, so here it is in case anyone else wants to do the same. Perhaps you could add this to the .diff in the next release?

HEXEN2

track02: casa1
      track03: casa2
      track04: casa3
      track05: casa4
      track06: egyp1
      track07: egyp2
      track08: egyp3
      track09: meso1
      track10: meso2
      track11: meso3
      track12: roma1
      track13: roma2
      track14: roma3
      track15: casb1
      track16: casb2
      track17: casb3

PORTALS

track02: tulku7
      track03: tulku1
      track04: tulku4
      track05: tulku2
      track06: tulku9
      track07: tulku10
      track08: tulku6
      track09: tulku5
      track10: tulku8
      track11: tulku3
      track12: (none)

• Ozkan Sezer

Ozkan Sezer - 2008-10-17

I'll put this information inte next version of the patch.
        Thanks!

O.S.

• The cranky hermit

Where do you put the *.ogg files? And is this supported in 1.4.4-pre5?

• Ozkan Sezer

Ozkan Sezer - 2009-03-25

Assuming you are running on linux (unix), put them under $HOME/.hexen2/data1/music/ .  If you have ogg files specific to the mission pack, them put them under $HOME/.hexen2/portals/music/ .

The feature is supported in 1.4.4-pre5, too, but it isn't included mainstream, yet: you only have to patch your midi_sdl.c and it will work (see the 00_Patches directory in the source tarball.)

• The cranky hermit

I'm running Windows. I put the ogg files in hexen2-1.4.4-pre5\data1\music, but they didn't seem to do anything. Probably because it isn't included mainstream. I tried building it, but my version of Visual Studio is too old (it's 2k5).

• Ozkan Sezer

Ozkan Sezer - 2009-03-26

Ah, that feature isn't implemented for the windows version, yet, it works only for the unix using SDL_mixer. Implementing it for windows may include adding an ogg/vorbis decoder to the engine (and no, I'm not a big fan of fmod.)

As for visual studio 2005, I may add project files for it in the following versions.

• Ozkan Sezer

Ozkan Sezer - 2009-03-26

> I tried building it, but my version of Visual Studio
        > is too old (it's 2k5).

For the record, I just added visual studio 2005 support:  happy compiling.

• Jared B.

Jared B. - 2010-07-25

Hi, sezero.  I'm setting up 1.4.4-pre9 right now and trying to get the "fake" CD sound working as described in this thread.  I have it working just fine for the main Hexen II game, with my music stored under data1/music/ and named according to the .diff file, but I cannot get the music to work properly for the expansion pack.

I placed the music under portals/music/ and again named the tracks according to the diff file, but rather than playing any of the music from the portals directory it instead plays music from the main data1 directory.  So, regardless of whether I run the main game or the expansion pack, uhexen2 ALWAYS plays casa1.ogg from data1/music/ first, followed by casa2.ogg, etc.  I simply cannot get it to play the tracks under portals/music/.

Everything else regarding playing portals seems to work fine, and best I can tell I've done everything described in the documentation.  Any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks.

• Ozkan Sezer

Ozkan Sezer - 2010-07-25

OK, so you are running with the missino pack (-portals) and want to play casa1 from ~/hexen2/portals/music/ and not from ~/hexen2/data1/music/ yes? I _think_ I reproduced your problem, but only like this: If the casa1 music file is named casa1.ogg under data1/music/ but it is named, say, casa1.mp3 under portals/music/ then you are hitting a file type preference, which isn't actually an intended one. First tell me the casa1 files names under data1/music/ and portals/music/. If it s like the case descbribed, then the engine first searches for a music/casa1.ogg (ogg has a higher preference over mp3) and it does find it under data1/music/ so it doesn't even look for the casa1.mp3. This may not be a simple thing to workaround and may require some additional coding in the engine. If your case is like the one I describe, the workaround is to use same type of files when ripping your cdrom tracks. If not, please tell me more.

• Jared B.

Jared B. - 2010-07-25

Wow, thanks for the extremely quick reply.  :-)

Based on what you described, I'm not sure I have my tracks named correctly.  I'm using Ogg files for both sets of tracks, but the tracks are named differently for each.  Eg., I don't have a casa1.ogg for portals; instead I have tulku7.ogg, as described in the diff.  So:

track02 from Hexen2 = casa1.ogg
    track02 from Portal of Praevus = tulku7.ogg

and correspondingly:
    ~/.hexen2/data1/music/casa1.ogg
    ~/.hexen2/portals/music/tulku7.ogg

Is that not correct?  I may be completely misunderstanding the info in your diff file.

• Ozkan Sezer

Ozkan Sezer - 2010-07-25

Your names seems correct looking at that name table in the diff. OK, tell me this: On the game console if you type:

midi_play tulku7

… does it play the expected file?

• Jared B.

Jared B. - 2010-07-25

Yes, that does find and play the correct file.

• Ozkan Sezer

Ozkan Sezer - 2010-07-25

> Yes, that does find and play the correct file.

In that case, the map itself is specifically requiring
    that casa1 file and uhexen2 has nothing to do.

• Jared B.

Jared B. - 2010-07-25

OK, I can agree with that, but I don't really understand why.  I'm playing portals - why would it specifically require a track from the first game instead of its own CD?  I did try playing through to the second level to see if it was maybe just a quirk with the first, but the second level played casa2, again from the original game rather than a track from the expansion pack.

Does that make sense?  Or are the the filenames for portals maybe incorrect?

• Ozkan Sezer

Ozkan Sezer - 2010-07-25

Browsed the pak3.pak file and it has maps some requiring casa1 and some requiring tulku7 (but both has cd track number as 2, mind you..). You probably did not hit a map specifically requiring tulku7 yet?

• Jared B.

Jared B. - 2010-07-25

Guess that could be it.  Just odd, I guess, that the first two levels in portals plays the same music from the first two levels of hexen2.  That's why I was thinking that uhexen2 was just playing the first tracks from hexen2 regardless if whether I'm playing hexen2 or portals2.

Anyway, I appreciate your time.  I'll dig into it a little bit more myself tomorrow and see if I can come up with anything more definite.

Thanks.

• Ozkan Sezer

Ozkan Sezer - 2010-07-25

OK. FYI, the map requiring casa1 is keep1 and the one requiring tulku7 is tibet9. If you play tibet9 map, it should find and play your tulku7.ogg correctly.

• Jared B.

Jared B. - 2010-07-25

Well, just tried again, warping to the specific maps you mentioned, and sure enough the tracks work fine.  Guess the expansion pack does use both the old and new music.

Anyway, it all works great.  Sorry for the misunderstanding, and thanks for straightening me out.  :-)

• beatpeitsi

beatpeitsi - 2011-06-20

This is obviously an old topic already, but I had this same "problem" (I didn't see the rest of this message chain until I registered to give my answer).
    I came to the same conclusion by extracting all the .ent files, and sure enough, all the keep-levels play casa-tracks, and the tibet-levels play tulku-tracks.
    In fact, the casb1 track of Hexen II, which is never used in the normal game, plays in keep5, so you actually get to hear the track in the game. Now if we only had some place to play Track 12 from the portals cd….

• Ozkan Sezer

Ozkan Sezer - 2011-06-20

In fact the track 12 of the expansion pack cdrom plays as an easter egg if wait long enough on the quit dialog.  Actually I can make the ripped ogg (or mp3) track using BGM_PlayCDtrack() instead of CDAudio_Play(). However I am about to release 1.5.0-rc4, so I will make that change in the svn for the next version.

• beatpeitsi

beatpeitsi - 2011-06-20

I extracted the ent files for the keep-levels and changed their corresponding midi file names to match the cd audio tracks. Should I post the ent files here and/or should they be included in the next release, in case someone else also wants to use only the cd tracks for the mission pack?

• Ozkan Sezer

Ozkan Sezer - 2011-06-20

The keep levels in the expansion pack used the midi from the original game but the cd track numbers doesn't match, well I guess because they can't fit all those tracks into one disc.  What you did looks like a personal taste thing, so I'd say that they should be kept as personal.

• beatpeitsi

beatpeitsi - 2011-06-21

Oh yes, absolutely, this is strictly a personal taste and a completely optional thing.
    I was just thinking about the amount of work I had to do to achieve this, you know, finding out where the problem was and trying different editors to see, which one can extract the necessary files for editing etc…. if there are others with the same personal taste (like nitro322 up there), no need for everyone to install editors and modify files, when the existing build already supports this type of a quick fix by simply adding 5 files to one folder, right?
    I guess they should be as separate downloadable files somewhere else.

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)