Menu

Implementing resume for large files

2018-04-20
2019-09-16
  • Tomas Cerskus

Tomas Cerskus - 2018-04-20

Hey there,

I am currently using UFTP to transfer fairly large files. It can take days. Sometimes the clients lose internet connection or reboot.

Any recommendations on where to start implementing a resume feature? Anything I should consider?

Cheers,
    Tomas

• Dennis Bush

Dennis Bush - 2018-04-20

Tomas,

UFTP already had the ability to restart a failed file transfer.

On the server (i.e. sender) side, pass the -f option to enable it to save state if one or more clients fails to receive all files in the session. When this happens, a file named "_group_{groupId}_restart" will be created, where {groupId} is the group ID of the failed session. You can then resume the session by passing the -F option and giving it the name of the restart file.

When using the -F option, it is not necessary to specify which clients to send to via -H or the list of files to send as that information is contained in the restart file.

On the client side, you'll need to pass the -T option to specify a temp directory. That allows the client to store any partially received files for a session as well as its state at the time the session dropped.

Regards,
    Dennis

Last edit: Dennis Bush 2018-04-20
  • Digarok

Digarok - 2018-04-20

Is it correct that with -T you can't specify a destination path, nor can you have multiple allowed destination paths?

• Dennis Bush

Dennis Bush - 2018-04-20

You can specify a destination path on the server with -D when the client uses -T, but you can't specify an abolute path. And yes the client can't use -D with multiple paths when -T is used.

• haralambop

haralambop - 2019-09-16

Hi Dennis,

I am wondering why the restart mode flag (-f) cannot be used with the sync (-z)
    uftp -f -z ....
    Error: Cannot use restart mode and sync mode together

Regards,
    Andreas

• Dennis Bush

Dennis Bush - 2019-09-16

Andreas,

Restart mode depends on the use of a temp directory where partially received files are stored, while sync mode depends on being able to overwrite the existing file directly which means a temp directory cannot be used.

Regards,
    Dennis