Menu

ufraw-batch not possible

JOberst
2020-02-13
2020-07-17
  • JOberst

JOberst - 2020-02-13

Hi!
    First I want to thank you for developing and supporting this great project!
    Unfortunately I have to think about migrating to another software, because ufraw is no longer supported in buntu > 18. For that reason I want to develop all my .ufraw ID-files that I collected over the years, so at least I have the resulting pictures available on the new platform.
    I never used batch processing before, but now it seems the only way to realise this task. But when I try this by using ufraw-batch *.ufraw or with a specified filename or with other ways to hand over the filename, I get

ID-Datei P12345678.ufraw scheint keine reguläre Datei zu sein

Can anyone help with this?

Last edit: JOberst 2020-02-13
  • voidxor

voidxor - 2020-03-04

I can't speak to the error your getting, but I'll throw out a couple thoughts on replacing UFRaw. I used it for 13 years, until finally realizing last month that development was abandoned four years ago. Like you, I feel I cannot continue to use unsupported software (due to error messages, security, intercompatibility, lack of documentation, etc.).

Since then, I've been researching raw converters and playing around. Ubuntu (and its derivatives) still had UFRaw packages as of 19.04 "Disco".

There are a couple minor forks of UFRaw, on GitHub and here in the SourceForge forum, but they seem to be developers' quick and dirty patches to keep it working on their distro.

RawTherapee and Darktable are clearly the most active projects. The GIMP documentation now references them exclusively. They are much more massive than UFRaw, however, and feel like software suites rather than raw plugins for GIMP.

For now, I've settled on nUFRaw. I don't see any mainstream 'Buntu packages yet, but it's easy enough to install via this PPA. The beauty of nUFRaw is that it is UFRaw, just with an updated user interface and several bug fixes. It also utilizes up-to-date libraries. The photo options are all the same as UFRaw, so you should have backward compatibility and no learning curve. The only downside is that the development isn't as active as it needs to be, yet. According to SourceForge, it's only getting one sixteenth the number of downloads as the long-dead UFRaw.

• JOberst

JOberst - 2020-07-17

Hey voidxor!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and results. I am going to give nUFRaw a try and I will see, what I can do there with my old stuff.

Best regards!

👍