Ufraw development

Alberto
2010-09-21
2013-02-27
  • Alberto

Alberto - 2010-09-21

Hi all,
    I was wondering what the development plans for Ufraw are: in the last months I have not seen much development on the CVS (only "small" maintenance modifications) and there are some annoying bugs standing since months with no one taking care of them. Mind that I am not complaining, I am just worried about this project and I would like to know, if possible, what are the future plans.

Thank you!

Best,
          Alberto

• David Chiang

David Chiang - 2010-09-21

I also think that development is very slow this year. We have so many new cameras now on the market with new raw formats, dcraw is since June 2010 updated, but for UFRaw 0.18 we are still waiting, since 9 month!? I hope that the programmer is not already dead.

Regards,

David

• Gerard van Vuuren

This,like many other programs in open-source is written by volunteers.
    They usually have jobs and a private life.
    You have no right in any way to pressure them.
    Use closed source and pay so you can demand quick action.
    Gerard.

• David Chiang

Incompatibility makes every program useless, no matter if it is payware or not! What we talking about here is so far a general problem, it also appears on closed software, and nobody likes to support incompatible software. A development cycle of more than 6 month is nowadays not only disappointing, it's also inacceptable! And I would never support a project like that with donations.

David

• Tomasz Golinski

Tomasz Golinski - 2010-09-21

So don't . FYI Ufraw supports new cameras in cvs much sooner than any close-source counterpart.

• Alberto

Alberto - 2010-09-21

Gerard,
    I do not want to put pressure on the developers, I just would like to know what are their plans (if any) on ufraw: will the development (i.e., fixing bug, adding new features and/or improving the current features) of Ufraw continue or not? If not, I will start looking around more seriously for other raw converters. There are some bugs that I could tolerate for some time, but I do not want to deal with them forever. Even if the developers are volunteers, they can probably say what they want to do in the near future, I think.

Best,
       Alberto

• David Chiang

@ tomaszg

FYI Ufraw supports new cameras in cvs much sooner than any close-source counterpart.

This is rubbish, dcraw was in the most advanced stage available in June 2010 for every developer and only Adobe used it since then for a number of applications. But your reaction is typical for this kind of ignorance and laziness in free software projects! Inactivity is always the very first symptom for a soon abandoned software project. And leaving users uninformed about the expected progress is quite unfair.

• Tomasz Golinski

Tomasz Golinski - 2010-09-22

david2301, I am not sure you know what you are talking about. UFRaw right now uses dcraw 1.438 - and it is the newest version. What is your problem? Canon 60d not still supported? Or you don't know what cvs stand for?

Good that we have you to fork ufraw code, when it will become abandoned :P You are not lazy, are you?

• NewMikey

NewMikey - 2010-09-22

david2301, tou are either a troll or a very uneducated person. "ignorance and laziness in free software projects" indeed, how many projects do you yourself actively support, may I ask? I would say your reaction is typically ignorant and lazy all by itself!

• Rodolfo Borges

Rodolfo Borges - 2011-02-01

don't you guys consider moving away from cvs?

git is sooooo much nicer, it would help attract more contributors.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks