Menu

Multithreaded listen issue

2013-02-19
2013-02-19
  • Christopher Paton

Hi everyone!

I am trying to create a server that listens on a list of ports in a user-specified range. It will accept the connection, receive the file from a sender, then close the socket. There is a new socket for each thread and each socket is tagged to a port (I think!).

This is where my issue lies. When I close the connection, the last thread activated tries to accept a connection and says the connection is not in a listening state. Then, when I try to create a new socket using the initial port says that another socket is already listening on the same port.

It seems that though I'm trying to tell each socket to use a specific port, they ignore that instruction.

My pseudo code would be:
    Create a map of ports and their use status(bool - initially set to true for available).
    while(){
    Pick a port and set its status to unavailable.
    Use getaddrinfo to give the addrinfo structure the port number.
    Create a socket using the information from the addrinfo struct.
    Create a thread within a Receiver class by passing the socket and filepath as parameters to the object constructor.
    Add the thread ID and port number to a new map for monitoring purposes.
    When the thread has finished, remove it and the port number from the map.
    }

I'm not overly familiar with socket programming, so I may be missing some key points.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I realised to late that I put this in Open Discussion, not Help. Apologies.

Last edit: Christopher Paton 2013-02-19
  • Christopher Paton

It's OK. I solved the issue. It was due to my class initialisation. :)