Menu

UDT for Oneway File Transfer

2014-02-03
2014-02-04
  • Umut DEMİREZEN

Umut DEMİREZEN - 2014-02-03

Hi,
    I found this tool by change while i was searching a UDP based tool than i can send a file.
    I want to transfer a file from one computer to the other but because of the security reasons one can ONLY send UDP packets and the other can only receives them.
    Can i use UDT to send a file under this conditions? I think the randezvous operation is the thing that i want?
    Best Regards.

Last edit: Umut DEMİREZEN 2014-02-03
  • gthorburn

gthorburn - 2014-02-04

Take a look at the demo apps that are part of the UDT distribution, some demonstrate the use of sendfile() and recvfile(). These should provide the foundation for what you need. Disclaimer: I'm just a user of UDT; also I have no idea whether UDT will meet any security needs you may have. However, as you said, it runs entirely over UDP. If you have firewall issues, the rendezvous mechanism may also be of value.

• gthorburn

gthorburn - 2014-02-04

Re-reading your post a bit more carefully, you say that one node can ONLY send UDP and one can ONLY receive UDP. If this is strictly true, then UDT will not work, since it implements ACKs, NAKs, and other protocol packets, as UDP data. So even if your user data (files) are being moved in one direction only, there will be ACKs and NAKs moving in the reverse direction, which will require UDP traffic in both directions to carry the UDT protocol.

Last edit: gthorburn 2014-02-04