Problem adding knoppix

george
2004-12-05
2013-04-29
  • george

george - 2004-12-05

I saw the howto on adding Knoppix to ubcd but even though I followed all instructions I was unable to make it boot porperly. I tested the iso file on QEmu prior to burning it on a CD. The message I get is that it was not found the knoppix file on any device though it is in the /ubcd root directory. It's the same trouble I have when I use the Easy Boot software.
    Any suggestions?

• Adrian Stanciu

Adrian Stanciu - 2004-12-06

What does "/ubcd root directory" really means?
      Is it the root directory of the cdrom, or is it the /ubcd directory. Root directory means /

Also make sure the knoppix file has the prope case. Windows does not care about case, linux does.

• Charles Appel

Charles Appel - 2004-12-06

If you're adding Knoppix (and not Insert which is found in UBCD Full), you must have a
      /KNOPPIX directory with the KNOPPIX file in that.  If you're following the directions found here: http://www.sadyc.net/anyCDintoUBCD.html ,Method 2, you should already have a /KNOPPIX directory.

If you're still having problems, please post the following:
      1) Version of Knoppix you're running
      2) The CDShell line you're using  to launch Knoppix.

• george

george - 2004-12-07

Yes, I already have the \KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX on \UBCD.
      It is just like \UBCD\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX. The version of UBCD I'm using is 2.x and there's no cdshell.ini nor a \boot. But I tried to the method one on http://www.sadyc.net/anyCDintoUBCD.html and it didnt work. I couldn't test method 2 because there's no isolinux on this version of ubcd.
      I named /ubcd root the directory on which I extract ubcd files from ubcd.iso. In my computer this "/ubcd root" is c:\ubcd. I'm runnig windows so there's no way to make a /KNOPPIX. Is this a problem? Should I try to build the iso in linux system?

• Charles Appel

Charles Appel - 2004-12-07

Assuming:
        C:\ubcd (extracted contents of UBCD)
        C:\KNOPPIX (extractedc contents of Knoppix) *
        * This could also be CDROM:\

Do the following from a command line:
        xcopy c:\knoppix\*.* c:\ubcd /s

You will now have the following:
        C:\UBCD\KNOPPIX
        C:\UBCD\isolinux
        C:\UBCD\UBCD
        (a few more directories)

\isolinux should come with knoppix.
        The \ / buiness between Win and Linux is not
        an issue for what you're trying to accomplish.

This is just a guess; I don't have a FAT partition to check this out on, but if your Win partition is not NTFS you may not be creating the KNOPPIX directory in uppercase.  This I believe is a requirment.  You might need to "inject" the contents of a knoppix CD using a program like WinImage, WinISO, UltraISO, etc.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks