Menu

coloring faces

ams
2008-06-06
2013-05-28
  • ams

ams - 2008-06-06

I have a couple of questions:

How do you color individual faces?  I can get the entire object to be a certain color, but I can't seem to figure out how to make certain faces different colors.

Also, is it possible to make version 1.0 u3d's with this software?  I only ask because I would like to be able to open a u3d in adobe reader but it says in the user guide that it can only open version 1.0 u3d's.  I've tried opening a u3d I have created but it gives me an error, so I assume it is a different version.

Thanks!

• Michail Vidiassov

Look at the simpleBox.idtf example (and how IDTFConverter works) to see how colors are applied to faces.

VertexColor.idtf shows how colors can be assigned to vertexes.

What version of Adobe Reader are you experimenting with?

• ams

ams - 2008-06-17

I am using Adobe Reader 8.0, which can read some u3d's but not the ones I have created with this sample software.  The version problem is not as important to me anymore though because I am using Acrobat 3D now, which can read my u3d's fine.

I have now figured out how to color individual faces, but the next problem I am having is that I cannot figure out how to color edges.  When I load my u3d into Acrobat 3D it is solid so it is hard to distinguish sides of the object.  I know you can change it manually in Acrobat but I would rather have it start with black lines to signify the edges.

Any clues or starting points?  Thanks for the help!

• Michail Vidiassov

As to the problem with distinguishing sides of an object - it looks like you have lighting disabled.
      If you have single-color edges, give the corresponding materials not emissive but diffuse and specular colors,
      then distinguishing sides must not be a problem. Look at the simpleBox.idtf sample.

If you use per-vertex colors you are out of luck, lighting is disabled.

But you may set the initial  view to be "Solid Wireframe" in the pdf file
      (not in u3d, consult you PDF-creation software manual and PDF 1.7 spec).