Menu

Add info to the .u3d file

2008-05-26
2013-05-28
  • chen shanjun

chen shanjun - 2008-05-26

Hello Friends,

Where to start if i want to add some extra info(like 3D model's intensity ,hardness,roughness) to the 3D model imported into this software? Those info will be stored associated with the 3D object and can be extracted in the downstream.
    I want to know how to utilize the project given to achieve my goals?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

• Michail Vidiassov

Metadata?

• chen shanjun

chen shanjun - 2008-05-29

Thanks,but what do you mean by saying Metadata? Could you please say a little more ?

• Timothy Strelchun

Here's a public defintion of meta-data:

Data about data. In data processing, meta-data is definitional data
            that provides information about or documentation of other data managed
            within an application or environment.

For example, meta-data would document data about data elements or attributes,
            (name, size, data type, etc) and data about records or data structures (length,
            fields, columns, etc) and data about data (where it is located, how it is
            associated, ownership, etc.). Meta-data may include descriptive information
            about the context, quality and condition, or characteristics of the data.

Not to be confused with Metadata^ or METADATA^.

Source: The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing^

^ Other brands and names are the property of their respective owners.

So, with respect to the U3D meta-data can be any textual or binary data that you define and want to associate with something.

Every different block type stored in a U3D file can have meta-data associated with it.  Likewise, in the run-time all blocks loaded/written and most components support meta-data which can be manipulated using the IFXMetaDataX interface (for example, the components stored in all valid palette entries for each different IFXPalette obtained via IFXSceneGraph::GetPalette).  To determine if a component supports the interface just perform a QI (QueryInterface) for the IID value IID_IFXMetaDataX.

In the case of a 3D model resource (stored in the generator/model palette), for properties specific to all instances of it use its IFXMetaDataX interface.  Per-instance usage of the 3D model resource (if any) would be stored using the IFXMetaDataX interface obtained from the model node (IFXNode/IFXModel) stored in the node palette that references that specific 3D model resource.

The global/scene meta-data is associated with the core services component.

BTW:  I had sent this reponse to your other posting (what should i do?), but just discovered I had accidentially sent it to the no replay SourceForge email address.  :(

Regards,
          Timothy

--

Timothy Strelchun
          CE Software Engineering
          Digital Home Group
          Intel Corporation

The views expressed above are my own and not those of Intel

• chen shanjun

chen shanjun - 2008-05-30

Thanks a lot!