Menu

Maximum open cursors error with Oracle 8i

Help
Teresa
2004-06-11
2004-06-15
  • Teresa

Teresa - 2004-06-11

Although I haven't found mention of the Oracle error in these forums, I have seen reference to the same problem with Tyrex and max cursors in other discussion groups. With an extensive data load (probably inserting/selecting 18-19000 rows) using Tomcat and Tyrex 1.0.1 on a RedHat 8 Linux server to connect to Oracle 8i, I get the ORA-01000 problem (approx. at the 8,000th row).

I have, of course, rigorously checked my statements to ensure they are being closed and have researched as thoroughly as I can to find other possible causes. I've seen hints that prepared statement caching might be an issue in other xa managers and Oracle, but I don't see anything in the Tyrex documentation that refers to configurable statement caching.

Please let me know if I've missed something obvious in the Tyrex docs; any other ideas would be thankfully received.

• Teresa

Teresa - 2004-06-11

I should also mention I have 3000 cursors available, so upping that number seems an inefficient solution.

• Rost Vashevnik

Rost Vashevnik - 2004-06-15

Hi Teresa !

I do noth think that Tyrex has a facility to cache the statements (And also I am not sure why do you think it might help you).

We have used Tyrex with Oracle 8 and 9 in production for over a year now and have run 1000s transactions a day and a number of days without restart and have not really noticed any degradation.

I would need more details (eg. code samples, references to particular forum messages explaining the problem etc.) in order to help you further.

Kind regards