I placed a copy of the development plan on the web page. I'll be
updating it as I get stuff done and get more ideas (currently I'm
getting ideas at a much faster rate than I'm getting them done :-).
I've committed some stuff to CVS:
- I added some options to the configure script
- I reduced the complexity of the Tux model by reducing the resolution
of the smaller objects in his body; this should gain you a few FPS
- I relaxed some of the ODE parameters to try to get a few more FPS
- I added some new parameters to ~/.tuxracer: forward_clip_distance (the
distance in meters down the course at which geometry is clipped),
backward_clip_distance (the distance in meters up the course at which
geometry is clipped), and tree_detail_distance (the distance at which
trees are rendered using two polygons instead of one).
If tuxracer is slow, try decreasing these values (especially the first
two). I decreased the default forward_clip_distance from 100 to 75,
and this results in a fairly noticeable FPS boost.
Note that this type of clipping is a stop-gap measure until I
implement real clipping to the view frustrum.
- I worked a bit on level 4.
If you encounter any problems with this update, please let me know.