Menu

Weird error "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action" and how I solved it

barbecue
2015-10-23
2016-03-25
  • barbecue

barbecue - 2015-10-23

When trying to use Tuxboot to create a Clonezilla USB drive, I kept seeing the error "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action" as soon as I clicked OK.

I tried running as admin, several different ISOs, different versions of Tuxboot, and everything else I found reference to, but nothing worked.

I finally identified the cause of the error by using Sysinternals ProcMon to monitor the Tuxboot run, and found that it was having trouble running sevnz.exe
    On our network, we have software restrictions policies which disallow running programs from the %LOCALAPPDATA% folder. This policy was implemented to prevent ransomware and other malware attacks from launching, and has been very successful at this, but it does sometimes prevent legitimate programs from working, and in this case, instead of the usual warning about the program being blocked by group policy, I got the weird file association error.

I whitelisted sevnz.exe and ran Tuxboot again, this time it ran all the way until the end, when it failed to run another program, unXXXX.exe where XXXX is some random number.

Since executables with random names are exactly what we want to block with our policy, I ended up temporarily disabling the policy, running tuxboot, then reenabling when I was done.

This is a rare enough problem that it's hard to find reference to it, so I wanted to post my experience in case it helps someone else.

• Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2015-11-04

Got it. We have no such experience. Thanks for sharing that.

Steven.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2016-02-27

I confirm the same error which fails while trying to burn the iso to usb flash stick.
    Windows 7 running Bitdefender. Disabled BitDefender but no good. If I have time I will research further.

• Thomas

Thomas - 2016-03-01

Hello,

I just finish some tests in Windows 10 + tuxboot 0.8.3 with bitdefender free edition(1.0.21.1099). The result is good, run tuxboot and creating a bootable Live USB fine.

capture screen in vm

Please kindly report all versions, especially windows, tuxboot and antivirus.

thank you.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2016-03-25

The problem is that tuxboot is trying to look for syslinux.exe in f:\utils\win32\syslinux or something similar. The error comes AFTER the pic on the previous post. AFTER tuxboot finished copying the files. "Running special F:\utils\win32\syslinux.exe on F:" where F: is my USB drive. I suppose tuxboot should search for syslinux.exe on the TUXBOOT FOLDER.
    FUXBOOT.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Add attachments
Cancel