problems init'ing the tripwire database

Help
Anonymous
2003-08-22
2003-08-23
  • Anonymous - 2003-08-22

I've just installed tripwire on a redhat 9 box.  I got the rpm to install fine, made a few minor adjustments to the policy and config files and then ran the twinstall.sh script.

the keys appear to have generated correctly (no error msgs) but when I try to create the tripwire db I get a segmentation fault:

[root@localhost tripwire]# tripwire -m i -v
    Tripwire(R) 2.3.0.47 for Linux

Opening key file: /etc/tripwire/site.key
    Opening key file: /etc/tripwire/localhost.localdomain-local.key
    Please enter your local passphrase:
    Opening key file: /etc/tripwire/site.key
    Opening policy file: /etc/tripwire/tw.pol
    This file is encrypted.
    Parsing policy file: /etc/tripwire/tw.pol
    Generating the database...
    *** Processing Unix File System ***
    Processing:  /
    --- Generating information for: /
    Software interrupt forced exit: Segmentation Fault

I'm afraid that I don't have much experience using linux - I'm a recent convert.  I've tried a couple of things to troubleshoot the problem but would really appreciate some help / advice / or a link to a FAQ/doc that deals with this kind of problem.

If you need more info to help diagnose the cause just let me know...

Thanks a lot,

duals.

• Bob Mahan

Bob Mahan - 2003-08-23

2.3.0.47?  I'm not sure where you grabbed RH9.0 or your version of Tripwire, but I'm running 2.3.1.2 for Linux which I'm pretty sure was on my RH9 cds.  I would suggest since you're having problems with the install anyway, that you try again with that version.

BTW, when you get it installed, I'd be very interested in seeing what happens to your real memory when you run it by doing a vmstat before and after running tripwire.  I am having a problem with 2.3.1.2 releasing memory after completing (see other threat)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks