SourceForge has been redesigned. Learn more.
Close

New event: "Picturesque Tournament" + grain sprite

Onsemeliot
2013-10-10
2013-11-07
  • Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2013-10-10

Please test my new event: "Picturesque Tournament"!:
    http://www.veganmania.at/div/trigger/picturesque.zip

It contains 9 brand new maps:

1. Fields
    2. Canyon
    3. Plateau
    4. Stumble
    5. Curvy
    6. Scottish
    7. Riddle
    8. Bold
    9. Faster

In the first map I made heavy use of the new sprite:
    http://www.veganmania.at/div/trigger/grain.png

Please add it to the veg-folder!

I hope you enjoy this.

Ill try to model a new car now since we have quite a few maps and events now...

• Iwan Gabovitch (qubodup)

Nice tracks! Added to SVN. I think "Bold" looks and feels just amazing!

What are your inspirations?

Note: I prefer being able to at least see the next checkpoint on the map if there's more than one path to continue on.

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2013-10-12

Thank you for the fast integration, Ivan.

I very carefully planned where I put the checkpoints. In some cases I wanted to leave the way to go open since you would be able to reach the finish on any of the possible routes. They are usually just alternatives when it is not obvious which way to go. Sometimes the alternatives are longer or more difficult, but still possibilities - if you are fast enough. Most of the time it's a good idea to stay on the same road - if you don't encounter a checkpoint leading you in a different direction.

I have to admit, in some cases it would be fatal to leave the original road since some maps have a few connections to the next tile and if you are on the wrong tile you might not find your way back to the original tile where the checkpoints are. In my view, this makes the maps more realistic and exciting since there is no obvious end in sight and if you come from an other direction to the same road again, most of the time you will not recognise it. Therefore such maps feel like you are driving through a small part of a much larger landscape.

You seem to love deserts. For some reason I think it's easier to do desert routes than any other landscape. I try to do different things, but often I end up with a desert map because the specific route works best that way.

Especially "Bold" was such a track I tried it for a long time without getting it right. This time I finally was able to get it like I imagined it. I wanted a map where you could naturally jump over a canyon you had driven through before without having a very strange route. Over time I learned quite a few things about how to deal with height maps. It seems having experience helps.

I'm a bit concerned that some maps might be too hard to be fun. Since I made the maps myself it's hard for me to tell. An uneven road is typical and realistic for an off-road rally and can be extremely challenging and therefore frustrating, but an all too smooth road is boring. A good rally map for my taste has to stay somewhere between these extremes.

For me, a good rally map is not mainly about plain fast driving, but more about mastering a tricky road as fast as possible. If I wanted to experience the kick of high velocities I would choose to play a 'Formula 1' game or something similar on quite plain optimised asphalt roads.

One of the main qualities of Trigger Rally for me is the versatile possibilities it gives us by letting us design complete landscapes you could actually drive through in any direction.

Some of my inspirations come from the maps I found before I started adding new maps. Others I was eager to try out. But possibly most of the maps are a result of trying one thing which didn't work the way I wanted and ending up with something completely different. Therefore in the designing process I very often dump the terrain or road in order to take on the lead of something completely different I wasn't planing to do at all.

I'm especially proud of the new sprite as well. It was done quite fast with a very clear vision in mind and unusually worked instantly very well. The only issue I will never learn to overcome in that regard seems to be the fact that in maps every sprite needs to be way darker than I would design it. For some reason maps tend to show every color much brighter.

Even in "Riddle", the snowy map, the bright looking snow needed to be just grey. Otherwise it wouldn't look like snow at all...

• landroni

landroni - 2013-11-06

Excellent job! Really nice work.

• landroni

landroni - 2013-11-06

"I'm a bit concerned that some maps might be too hard to be fun. Since I made the maps myself it's hard for me to tell. An uneven road is typical and realistic for an off-road rally and can be extremely challenging and therefore frustrating, but an all too smooth road is boring. A good rally map for my taste has to stay somewhere between these extremes."

If you suspect a map to be too hard, simply increase slightly the time limit.

What's actually challenging in Trigger (and a bit annoying) is this Moon-like gravity that we have. We do have a patch for fixing this ( https://sourceforge.net/p/trigger-rally/patches/9/ ), but having tested it I would say that it's suboptimal. A nice, proper fix would be very welcome here.

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2013-11-06

I didn't test the patch (yet), but the problem seems relatively easy to solve since with the added gravity the car just seems to be placed to low. Isn't there a parameter defining where the lower end of the car is in normal position? If this value is changed, everything probably should just be fine.

But even if the gravity is to low in Trigger Rally. It has by far the best driving physics of all free software games I know of. Torcs for example can offer environments and cars with more details, but the way cars behave in Trigger Rally is just way better. Therefore even if Torcs has much more features I still clearly prefer Trigger.

I think not all maps need to be beginner-friendly. If you could get through the maps in time I think this is good enough for a event suitable for advanced gamers.

Last edit: Onsemeliot 2013-11-06
  • landroni

landroni - 2013-11-07

"It has by far the best driving physics of all free software games I know of. "

Agreed.