SourceForge has been redesigned. Learn more.
Close

Talk on public Linux day event about Trigger Rally

Onsemeliot
2013-04-30
2013-05-21
  • Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2013-04-30

I've just registered a talk on a local Linux day event. I proposed to describe how I was able to contribute to the free software project "Trigger Rally" as non-programmer. People should know how easy it can be to help out with free software (game) projects.

(I offered a workshop for actually showing participants how to add new maps, but I could get 45 minutes only. Therefore a workshop wouldn't really work...)

So I start to spread the word about Trigger Rally further than just in my personal circle. :)

• Iwan Gabovitch (qubodup)

Hi,

Very cool! If there's a way to record audio or video, please do so and
      share!

I myself will talk at Libre Software Meeting about freely licensed art and
      audio and their use in FOSS game projects. :)

Last edit: Iwan Gabovitch (qubodup) 2013-04-30
  • Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2013-05-01

Hm, that's a good idea. I'm not sure if I can organize someone to record my talk. It will be in German - therefore not so many people could profit from it anyway.

My talk will be in Linz, in Upper Austria, Europe. Where will your talk take place? Have you given such talks on this subject already? Can you share some suggestions from experience?

• landroni

landroni - 2013-05-01

Sounds Cool. Have fun!

• Iwan Gabovitch (qubodup)

There's many German-speakers in FOSS and http://www.amara.org/ would easily allow us to create and translate subtitles, which could be integrated into YouTube by the uploader of the video then. No pressure! :)

Libre Software Meeting 2013 will be in Brussells. I'd recommend using as much as possible actual gameplay. If you want to explain how height map and vegetation maps work, ideally you would have the game window running next to two windows showing the image files and you could directly explain "this hill that I am driving on was created because of the white circle on the height map right here point. And this field of grass that we are driving through was created by randomly placing bushes in the area of this white square. That field over there has a lower density because it is grey, not white." etc. Using screenshots of the game is just as fine.

If you will play Trigger live, make sure to set the game resolution to something supported by the projector before the presentation starts.

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2013-05-05

Thank you for sharing your insights in talks about Trigger Rally. I hope I manage to stick to those suggestions... :)

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2013-05-21

Hm. Today I received an e-mail: My talk wasn't accepted in th end. Therefore I might have even more time doing new maps for the game... ;)