Leveleditor

Help
2004-11-26
2013-04-09
  • Stefan Rosskopf

Stefan Rosskopf - 2004-11-26

Hi,

first I have to say that I found it only coincidentally that there was somethink like an editor... In my opinion that was an great feature that should be enable direct in the game - men, not only at the console with trackball -e [name_of_level] - then it would be possible that more user found that function - and more levels will be released. ;-)

But the reason for my post was a problem with the editor: How I can use it?!
    My mouse seems not be functional in the editor. Then I press some keys, and sometimes anythink change at the map - but I cannot say that this happened consciously cause I dont know what I am doing there. ;-)
    Could it be possible to doing somethink like mouse - management in the editor? And - put it into the game - menue? :o)

But - I dont want to end without saying thanks for a great game - and some great tracks, too. Expecially tb_design.ogg was really great and I listening even after the games - cause it grooves!

Thanks, Stefan(Hamburg/ Europe/ World/ Universe/ Somewhere in cyberspace)

• Mathias Broxvall

Hi Stefan,

unfortunatly the existing editor for trackballs is not that good and I'm currently working rewritting it quite extensivly and will include it in the next release (probably not before christmas though). In the mean time you can take a look at the documentation for the
      editor here:

http://trackballs.sourceforge.net/documentation.htm

where you can find all the (unfortunatly rather hard to learn) key combinations for editing the levels. Note that in addition to the map file you get from the editor you also need to write a script file for each level which contains information about where the player starts, where the flags etc. are and what's supposed to happend when you take this or that switch. The scripts can be either quite advanced or quite simple depending on what you want to include in the level but the best way of getting started is to copy from some old level.

Good luck editing your levels and if you are happy with them please send them to me so I can include them in future releases =)

bye

/ Mathias

• Nobody/Anonymous

And how can I get into the editor?

• Stefan Rosskopf

Stefan Rosskopf - 2005-07-17

Hm. Did you read my whole posting?
          Instead starting trackball you have to start the game (or now - the editor) with the command

trackball -e [name_of_level]

• Mathias Broxvall

Sorry for the late response (i've been travelling during the summer). Appart from using the -e command line switch (like the answer above detailed) there's also in the latest release of trackballs a button "map editor" on the main screen which takes you to the editor. If you modify existing maps or create new ones the maps will be saved inside your homedirectory under the .trackballs folder.

Good luck

/ Mathias

• Nobody/Anonymous

PS: I think you have to steer the editor with U, H, J, K, M.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Those keys are used for editing height and stuff.  It says to use the arrow keys to move around, but only the UP and DOWN arrow keys work.  If you press the LEFT or RIGHT arrow keys to move sideways like it says, nothing happens.  If this is a bug, it's a very silly one to miss.  I have the windows version of the game by the way.

• Mathias Broxvall

Hi,

I'm not sure what's causing this (probably something related to the setup under windows) and probably won't be able to look into it since the development for windows stopped a long time ago. Since i have received maps created under windows by Warren I know that i must work atleast on his windows machine so it must be some problem with the setup, the locale or something similar. Unfortunatly i don't have the possiblity to develop for windows (no environment, windows allergy etc.) and the guy who made the windows port left some time ago - so unfortunatly I can't help you with this problem =(

/ Mathias