Jeanna
2013-11-29
2014-03-16
  • Jeanna

Jeanna - 2013-11-29

Hello there...

First let me say thank you for doing all of this work. I've been trying to
    create something like this for the past few months but with being very new
    to programming it has been hard getting everything put together.

I downloaded the files for this project on an ubuntu install on my machine
    where I have PHP5/apache/mysql set up. I put the files in a var/www
    directory and started reading the README txt file that comes with the
    download.

I have some questions on how to get it all working.

First- I created a database called 'ncaa', went in to the database.php file
    and changed username/password and saved it as database.php. Question here
    is if i just want to run a local test and not publish on web yet, do i just
    put the file path to my var/www directory in the URL portion of that file?

Second, i then tried to fill in the install.htm file and submit...but it
    doesn't seem to be working. No data is inserted in my database it simply
    adds a file to my download area of my pc.

Is anyone available to help me with newby questions? I would very much
    appreciate it.

Thank you-

Jeanna

• Rob J

Rob J - 2013-12-10

Sorry, I keep forgetting to answer this. I believe this has to be running on a web server to work. I don't think you can put in the file path from your local disk.

• Rob J

Rob J - 2013-12-10

I use MAMP on my Mac, which is a really easy way to get a Mysql+Apache+PHP stack running on your box. Just double click and it gets everything running.

• Jeanna

Jeanna - 2014-01-12

Where should I save the tourney file folder on my machine? I'm running on unbuntu, have LAMP installed. I think i'm saving the files in the wrong place because when I try to go through the readme steps...the point on install that says to "Open your favorite web browser and point it at your installation directory", i point my browser to "file:///var/www/tourney-1.5.3.7/admin/install.htm" and when i fill in the information on the htm file in the browser and hit 'finish', the browser downloads the install.php file to my downloads area and no table is set up in my MYSQL instance of the database "tourney" i just created.

Also, does this look right for the info i should save in the database.php file:
    $database = "tourney";
    $user = "root@localhost";
    $pass = "myMYSQLpassword";
    $host = "localhost";

Thank you again.

• Rob J

Rob J - 2014-01-12

You should be pointing your browser to your web server (starts with http://localhost..., not file://)

Looks like you aren't too familiar with web development. Perhaps you can try a LAMP tutorial, first? Follow those instructions to get hello world working, then put the Tourney files in that location. http://www.codephun.com/how-configure-lamp-stack-ubuntu-12-10/

The database.php file looks fine.

Last edit: Rob J 2014-01-12
  • Jeanna

Jeanna - 2014-01-12

Thank you!

• Fred

Fred - 2014-03-14

I have this uploaded to a webhost, added the database, updated the database.php file and have even entered the teams for round 1. However, it doesn't seem to insert the teams into the database because I can't edit any bracket...there are no teams there. Also after entering the teams, there seems to be no way for any player to make their picks. what am I missing.

Lastly, I tried usint "send the code" and I get an error msg that says there is no ncaa_users table. Any assist would be much appreciated.

• Rob J

Rob J - 2014-03-14

I'd guess that the database isn't made correctly. Do you have a link to your deployment?

• Fred

Fred - 2014-03-14

http://www.fredswebportal.com/ncaa/

I'm wondering if I have a bid zip file because when I tried to unzip it, it asked if I wanted to unzip without encryption? There is no users table in the database. I downloaded the script from this site, but perhaps there is another location I can try? I downloaded version 1.5.3.7 but it shows that it is version 1.52. I also noticed that there is no copyright in the footer?

Last edit: Fred 2014-03-14
  • Fred

Fred - 2014-03-15

I have looked at some of the files in the archive and it mentions a table called users, yet none of the sql files reference a users table at all. I would like to get this working ASAP and would appreciate any help that anyone can provide. Please note my previous posts for a description of my problem.

• Rob J

Rob J - 2014-03-15

I just downloaded tourney-1.5.3.7.zip and installed it without too much trouble. I don't see the table you are referring to. Are you sure you have the latest version? Also, where is the "send the code" thing? I don't see that on mine. I vaguely remember we had something like that, but I am assuming we took it out. It's not in the latest stable release.

Here are the steps I did to set it up:

1. Download https://sourceforge.net/projects/tourney/files/latest/download?source=files
    2. Unzip the files in my apache htdocs folder (wherever your webserver looks for files)
    3. Copy database.php.tmpl to database.php in the admin folder. (change permissions so only your webserver can use it)
    4. Add my database name, login, and password
    5. Create a database on my mysql server with the same name as what I put in to database.php
    6. Go to the tourney site and configure it (enter in title, slogan, scoring, etc).
      7a. If you already have a row in your masters table, delete it before executing 7b since 7b reinserts that row.
      7b. Execute in my database:
      INSERT INTO master (id, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, type) VALUES
      (4, '1', '16', '8', '9', '5', '12', '4', '13', '6', '11', '3', '14', '7', '10', '2', '15', '1', '16', '8', '9', '5', '12', '4', '13', '6', '11', '3', '14', '7', '10', '2', '15', '1', '16', '8', '9', '5', '12', '4', '13', '6', '11', '3', '14', '7', '10', '2', '15', '1', '16', '8', '9', '5', '12', '4', '13', '6', '11', '3', '14', '7', '10', '2', '15', 'seeds'),
      (1, 'Louisville', 'Playin Winner 1', 'Colorado St', 'Missouri', 'Oklahoma St', 'Oregon', 'Saint Louis', 'New Mexico St', 'Memphis', 'Playin Winner 2', 'Michigan St', 'Valparaiso', 'Creighton', 'Cincinnati', 'Duke', 'Albandy', 'Gonzaga', 'Southern U', 'Pittsburgh', 'Wichita St', 'Wisconsin', 'Ole Miss', 'Kansas St', 'Playin Winner 3', 'Arizona', 'Belmont', 'New Mexico', 'Harvard', 'Notre Dame', 'Iowa St', 'Ohio St', 'Iona', 'Kansas', 'Western Kentucky', 'North Carolina', 'Villanova', 'VCU', 'Akron', 'Michigan', 'S. Dakota St', 'UCLA', 'Minnesota', 'Florida', 'Northwestern St', 'San Diego St', 'Oklahoma', 'Georgetown', 'Florida Gulf Coast', 'Indiana', 'Playin WInner 4', 'N.C. State', 'Temple', 'UNLV', 'California', 'Syracuse', 'Montana', 'Butler', 'Bucknell', 'Marquette', 'Davidson', 'Illinois', 'Colorado', 'Miami', 'Pacific', NULL);
    7. Start entering in brackets

Last edit: Rob J 2014-03-15
  • Fred

Fred - 2014-03-15

When I try to insert your entry noted in 7b, I get the following error msg.

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 2' at line 1

I did everything else noted in your post already.

• Fred

Fred - 2014-03-15

The "send the code" thing is under the admin link labeled Email Submission Code and the version of the zip file you noted in your post is the same one I have installed. Does your version have a users table, because mine does not.

• Rob J

Rob J - 2014-03-16

It doesn't

On Mar 15, 2014, at 4:39 PM, "Fred" fbonani@users.sf.net wrote:

The "send the code" thing is under the admin link labeled Email Submission Code and the version of the zip file you noted in your post is the same one I have installed. Does your version have a users table, because mine does not.

March Madness Bracket Competition-Set up questions

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/tourney/discussion/1092265/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Fred

Fred - 2014-03-16

We are obviously not communicating...I have done everything you mentioned in your post except that I physically entered the teams into the brackets so I don't have "Palyin Winner1", I actually have a team name there. The teams are entered into the master table. However, I don't know how to enter a bracket. How does a player make his picks? What link would he click on to get to the picksheet to make his picks.

The link you sent https://sourceforge.net/p/tourney/discussion/1092265/ just takes me back to this thread and is not answering my question, unless I am blind and don't see it.

• Fred

Fred - 2014-03-16

Also, your last comment says "Start Entering Brackets"

Where/how do you do that as there is no link to do so. Lastly, after filling in the Initial Bracket, it takes me to start.php which has the following information:

Array ( [1] => Florida [2] => CS Northridge [3] => Oregon [4] => Kansas St [5] => Oklahoma [6] => Harvard [7] => Michigan St [8] => Western Michigan [9] => Kentucky [10] => SMU [11] => Creighton [12] => NCCU [13] => Saint Louis [14] => Iowa [15] => Louisville [16] => E. Kentucky [17] => Wichita St [18] => Albany [19] => George Washington [20] => Stanford [21] => UCONN [22] => N.D. State [23] => Syracuse [24] => Delaware [25] => Texas [26] => Dayton [27] => Cincinnati [28] => Georgia St [29] => New Mexico [30] => Arizona St [31] => Wisconsin [32] => Wofford [33] => Michigan [34] => Coastal Carolina [35] => Colorado [36] => St Josephs [37] => UNC [38] => Stephen F. Austin [39] => Iowa St [40] => Tulsa [41] => UCLA [42] => Xavier [43] => Virginia [44] => Mercer [45] => Baylor [46] => Pittsburgh [47] => Villanova [48] => American [49] => Arizona [50] => Weber St [51] => UMASS [52] => Oklahoma St [53] => Ohio St [54] => Tennessee [55] => Duke [56] => Manhattan [57] => VCU [58] => Gonzaga [59] => San Diego St [60] => New Mexico St [61] => Memphis [62] => Nebraska [63] => Kansas [64] => UW Milwaukee )

Is that what is supposed to happen?

• Rob J

Rob J - 2014-03-16

On the link you sent me (http://www.fredswebportal.com/ncaa/), it looks like you are setup to do a sweet 16 tournament. You probably had that checked when you did the site setup.

• Rob J

Rob J - 2014-03-16

Also, it's the "Create Bracket" link in the nav bar. The second one. Users use that to enter picks.

• Rob J

Rob J - 2014-03-16

I don't have email submission code on mine. You must have a different version of the code. Are you sure you copied over the stable version to where you are serving? This is what my admin screen looks like

• Rob J

Rob J - 2014-03-16

Ok, I see the submission code thing now. If you enter in a mailserver, it apparently shows that link.

Let me see if that would prevent users from entering in a bracket. Your site is still set up for a sweet 16 tournament, though, which I don't think is that you want to do. That requires you to enter in results for the first 2 rounds.

• Rob J

Rob J - 2014-03-16

OK, I can duplicate your problem. For now, I say uncheck the mail box (make sure the mail field in the meta table in your database is zero). Users can just use the create bracket link to submit stuff. I'll see what is going on with that users table

• Rob J

Rob J - 2014-03-16

It's safer to not use this feature, though.

• Rob J

Rob J - 2014-03-16

If you want to try it out, though:

CREATE TABLE users (
    email varchar(255) NOT NULL,
    name varchar(255) NOT NULL,
    paid tinyint(1) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
    numbertotal int(11) NOT NULL,
    numberleft int(11) NOT NULL,
    PRIMARY KEY (email)
    ) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1

• Fred

Fred - 2014-03-16

OK, the problem was that I had checked the Sweet 16 pool because I thought that it was asking if there was going to be a Sweet 16 pool. After re-installing and leaving that entry blank, I can now see where the bracket picksheet is because it asks for the bracket name, player name and email address. So when the first two rounds are done, I can then go back and click the Sweet 16 check mark or will it ask automatically if I want a Sweet 16 pool?

I assume that everything else will work now. Thanks for your help and patience.

• Rob J

Rob J - 2014-03-16

No, the game can only be the while thing or sweet 16. If u want to do sweet 16, make a separate installation

On Mar 15, 2014, at 7:35 PM, "Fred" fbonani@users.sf.net wrote:

OK, the problem was that I had checked the Sweet 16 pool because I thought that it was asking if there was going to be a Sweet 16 pool. After re-installing and leaving that entry blank, I can now see where the bracket picksheet is because it asks for the bracket name, player name and email address. So when the first two rounds are done, I can then go back and click the Sweet 16 check mark or will it ask automatically if I want a Sweet 16 pool?

I assume that everything else will work now. Thanks for your help and patience.

March Madness Bracket Competition-Set up questions

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/tourney/discussion/1092265/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/