Madness, 2011 ... 68 teams

BigDaddyNC
2011-01-09
2015-03-12
  • BigDaddyNC

BigDaddyNC - 2011-01-09

Will the addition of 4 additional teams create a problem for this engine?  Any anticipated mods before the tourny starts that may cause us to hold off on installing?

• Rob J

Rob J - 2011-01-09

The software cannot handle the new games. Haven't thought about what to do, yet, but I think there will definitely be mods.

If you don't want to include the new games in your bracket pool, then you can use the software as is.

• BigDaddyNC

BigDaddyNC - 2011-01-12

Thanks.  I wasn't sure how the matchups would be done but i see on the NCAA site it's a play-in 16seed vs 17seed game.  Non-event if you ask me.

• sledge4

sledge4 - 2011-02-18

Should we assume nothing is being done to account for this?  We are only 3 or so away from the tournament.

• Anonymous - 2011-02-24

Anyone got a patched version for this year yet?

• Rob J

Rob J - 2011-02-24

Nothing yet. I suppose we'll have to decide what we are going to do this weekend. Shouldn't be too hard of a change, if we do anything at all (famous last words).

• Rob J

Rob J - 2011-02-24

Looking at the schedule, the "First four" play on Tuesday and Wednesday. That leaves very little time from when the brackets are announced to the first game. Don't know if most league managers would want to accommodate these games at the expense of reducing submission time.

• Don Can Help

Don Can Help - 2011-02-25

Everything I am reading - "The First Four" do not automatically feed into specific regions.  The CBS printed bracket has 4 teams labeled 16 in two games and 4 teams labeled TBA in the other 2 games.

It appears as if once the 4 teams are selected, they will be assigned to the 16th position of the region that they best qualify based on the parameters for region assignment. 

This would mean that Teams 1-15 are placed in each region on Selection Sunday, with the 16th Team in each region determined after the last game on Wednesday night after Selection Sunday.  This would mean that an Extra Round to the Program is NOT needed, since these games do not naturally feed the next round.

Thoughts>

• gmale

gmale - 2011-02-25

@doncanhelp: sounds good.  Personally, I'm all for not complicating things.

I'm going to officially begin my installation this weekend.  If it turns out that these four games really need to be added, then I might be able to lend a hand with the coding…

• Anonymous - 2011-02-27

Hey guys - I tried to send you a message privately, but it appears the send message page on SF is broken.. I am a .net developper who did some php 10 years ago in college. I've built my own march madness solution, but mine was primarily using excel - but I focused primarly on the user interface. I decided this year I wanted to web enable mine, but finding yours - I'd be duplicating alot of the work you've already done. I don't know how much help I'd be in PHP, but I'd be willing to take a stab at a few things before the madness kicks off if you need the help.  I'm more a data guy than a web guy  so alot of my process focussed on determing how many points you could still earn in your best case scenario, providing 'rooting' sheets.. I'd also done a bit of work predicting who was most likely to win based on the sheer fact they picked highly ranked teams to win that others had not.

If you guys don't need the help - just take this message as a thank you for the work you've done.. will make my admin of my pool alot easier.

• Rob J

Rob J - 2011-03-02

I don't think we are going to do anything about the 68 teams.

By consensus, it seems that most people want the automatic score updating. So, if anyone wants to hook up the scoring with some free score web service, by all means do that.

I think best case scenario scoring is done as well as predicting the most likely winner (from the sweet 16 onward).

I think another high priority thing is to put a captcha on the smack talk so bots don't post in them. Either that or integrate with some sort of CMS and use its account services.

Any other thoughts?

• sledge4

sledge4 - 2011-03-04

I'd like to see that once a player submits there first entry, that if they want a second entry, there name appears in a drop-down so that they can just select that instead of re-typing there name and email.  Ensures that the brackets are attached together as well as it would reduce the chance of them typing something wrong, etc.

Also, if they could edit there entry until the deadline, that would be extremely helpful.  I get lots of emails about wanting to make last minute changes, etc.

• Rob J

Rob J - 2011-03-07

Let me know if you are working on any features so we don't do double work.

I am going to work on converting the tables to YUI tables to make them look good an eliminate some of the sever queries as well as simplify the pages.

I am interested in using the scoring service as well. If no one implements that, I will do that next. We have until the tourney starts to get that done.

Botag is making a Drupal module for this, so I assume that's a way to get accounts if you want those.

Other more boring tasks include adding a Captcha to comments to stop the spam bots and making sure all input is sanitized.

We are also interested in a sweet 16 tourney.

• Anonymous - 2011-03-10

Botag, if you need help with the Drupal module as far as testing, let me know.  I've been wanting to develop a Drupal version.

• John Holder

John Holder - 2011-03-11

Sounds good.  I'm time constrained this year with projects so will be looking in - and when you have auto-scoring, I'll be happy to plug it in to test.  In my environment it might require http proxy server support - or at least, I'd probably have to configure my php instance for it.  Can't recall if I've done that yet.

• Rob J

Rob J - 2011-03-11

I haven't been able to find a scoring service that works, yet. Might have to go with a scrape of a page or something like that

• Botag

Botag - 2011-03-11

I've got a good start into the Drupal module, but I highly doubt it will be ready for this year. This is my first attempt making a module and the learning curve is a little steep. Dale, I'll contact you offline with some info about it.

• Dale

Dale - 2011-03-13

Sounds good.  I've done a couple of Drupal modules, so I may be able to help out.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks