Menu

Scrolling & Visual Mode Puzzler

talozin
2010-11-25
2013-04-25
  • talozin

talozin - 2010-11-25

A little background: for the past 3-4 years, I've been very happily using tf4.0s1, in visual mode, on CentOS, typically running under screen, via a variety of different workstations - Windows, OS X, Linux, whatever.  Throughout this period, tf has consistently shown the previous lines of output when I scroll back in the terminal.  I have the vague memory that I had to change something before compiling in order to make this work properly, but, as I say, I last compiled tf 3-4 years ago, and memory fails.

Recently I've built a new ssh host to run tf on (well, other things too, but this is the most important :) ).  Same OS, same OS version, same version of screen, same version of tf, everything the same - except now tf goes right back to the things I was doing before running tf.  If I chroot back to the old system and run the tf installed there, it works as it used to.  Even copying the binary and libraries from the old system to the new one doesn't seem to make the new one work properly.

Being able to scroll back in my terminal window is a useful feature for me, and I'm at something of a loss.  Anyone have any ideas?

• Tim Fredenburg

Tim Fredenburg - 2010-11-25

Perhaps you have misplaced your runtime configuration file?  Mine is called tfrc.txt and I have things in it that I want tf to do every time it starts up.

• talozin

talozin - 2010-11-25

Good idea, but no such luck; my "new" home directory is an rsync'd copy of the old one, and .tfrc is in place and working normally.

• Blah Humbug

Blah Humbug - 2010-11-28

Maybe something to do with your $TERM…

• Ken Keys

Ken Keys - 2010-11-29

With tf 4.0, scrolling depended almost entirely on the terminal.  I recommend upgrading to tf 5.0, which implements scrolling itself, independently of the terminal.  Your terminal's scrollbar will probably not work, but PageUp and PageDown keys will, as well as additional keys for scrolling by a half screen or one line at a time.